Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Too Early to Frost Seed Clover?

MO-APE

With this crazy past year of weather, do you think it is too early to throw down some white clover? Picture perfect weather forecast over the next 10 days...1/2 inch of snow on the ground right now and highs in the 40's-50's during the day and 20's at night.

I frost seeded clover in southern Iowa last week. When do most of you guys frost seed? Id of preferred to wait a bit but given limited time I went ahead and got it done. I dont see any major issues with going ahead and getting it done.

Normally I would wait until mid-to-late February, but I don't think you wasted all your seed or anything by going a little early. I suppose some might get pecked up a little by song birds, but I think you should be fine.

I would think with the temps the way they have been your seed is getting incorporated into the ground with the freeze/thaw cycle that has been hot and heavy the past month. I sure can see the efffects of the process on the bare ground here at home. I frost seeded cir switch in december and I believe it is already worked into the ground.

I'll be frost seeding my clover probably this next month as that's when time will allow. I have had great success with frost seeding so far on switch and clovers.

It's early to frost seed clover. You will likely be fine though- seed is tough. Ideally, another month on clover to frost seed.
Switchgrass is another animal though- you can do that anytime, switchgrass has a hard seed coat that's difficult to stratify. I'll probably seed some switch anytime now and wait on some clover about 3-4 more weeks.
Like I said though- if you did it already, you'll likely be ok

Top Bottom