Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Too Late for Poison Ivy???????

Probably Ivy, have gotten it several times in the winter, usually when cuttin the vines down. Can get real nasty then, especially if you eat it!!!

Yep its the sap from the vine ! Its more concentrated worse than touching the leaves ! I had to get shots even !!!

I got into something just over a week ago. A couple days later, I looked like Rocky after the 5th round. 'Almost' back to normal now.

Tom,
Don't go holding your kid and no slap and tickle with the wife for a while. There are 10,000 home remedies but the prednizone or what ever it's called is what will work the best. Some doc's won't prescribe it unless you get it on your face or privites.....oh never mind.
All joking aside, wash, wash and wash again everthing that might have come in contact with it. Gloves, backpack, clothes, boots, hat, bed sheets, pillow case, everything.
I HATE that stuff, get it every flippin' year!!!!!!!
I have scars on my legs from the stuff

Like everyone else said it is nasty stuff YEAR ROUND. For me, its easiest to ID in the fall. The leaves turn a beautiful red before anything else in the woods start to turn. If you see bright red leaves on a tree trunk when the rest of the tree is still green, stay away. I notice this in Sept. while preparing tree stands and shooting lanes.

By now, the vines have dropped their leaves. The vines are very hairy looking. Ripping these vines off the trees even with gloves on can make a "dust" in the air that if it lands on you, you will regret it.

220px-Poison_ivy_vine.jpg

Up until a couple years ago I didn't even know what it looked like and I've been ripping that stuff off trees forever. Guess I'm on of the lucky ones....knock on wood....

ya, thats the stuff.....

i pulled that off of trees this summer, and never got it....

but for some reason this time it got me....

i had to shave my goate off cause of it.....

Tom
You had to do what to your goat? Please keep private things private /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

When I was younger (much) i could roll in the stuff and it wouldn't bother me at all. Many people become more sensative to it over time/exposure. Sounds like you are now a member of club, welcome. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and, i just realized, i have it on the corners of my mouth as well.....

which brings me back to when i ate my sammiches in the stand, i didnt take my gloves off to eat.....

this isnt looking good! </div></div>

WOW maybe you should have keep the fact that you have it on your mouth to yourself, sandwiches huh /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Ok but on a more serious note can anyone post pics of poison ivy, oak, and sumac. Does all sumac, have the ichy effect on some people, I know what sumac looks like but have never had a reaction from coming in contact with it, so are they 2 different things or one and the same. Or how bout poison oak? Are the vines that grow up trees and the normal poison ivy ground cover that looks like weeds or small sapplings the same or is one of those poison oak?

how does someone kill the stuff if its on one of your trees? any ideas? got it this year and it is nasty sh!!!t. never got it in the past.

When you do your google on poison ivy, oak and sumac be sure and do one on virginia creeper too.

Poison oak reportedly doesn't grow in Iowa. I have some sort of sumac on my ground but I have never reacted to it, but viriginia creeper aka five finger ivy and poison ivy are death on earth for me.

The 'Bonker

You want it really bad dance in the smoke while burning wood with poison on it. It'll cover your whole body.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goatman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You want it really bad dance in the smoke while burning wood with poison on it. It'll cover your whole body. </div></div>

Good to know!

On the sumac, I think there's a difference between regular sumac and the poison stuff.

Here in Kansas, we don't have poison oak or sumac. We do have smooth sumac, which the deer love to eat late in the year.

Also, the worst way to get poison ivy, is to inhale it, either in dust form or smoke form while burning it. From what I have read, if you get it in your lungs, it could be the worst mistake of your life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kansasdeerslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, the worst way to get poison ivy, is to inhale it, either in dust form or smoke form while burning it. From what I have read, if you get it in your lungs, it could be the worst mistake of your life. </div></div>

so your're saying to not dry, roll and light PI??

hahahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kansasdeerslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here in Kansas, we don't have poison oak or sumac. We do have smooth sumac, which the deer love to eat late in the year.

Also, the worst way to get poison ivy, is to inhale it, either in dust form or smoke form while burning it. From what I have read, if you get it in your lungs, it could be the worst mistake of your life. </div></div>

Ya the smoke is killer, I used to be able to roll in the stuff and never have a reaction but one spring in high school on a camping trip a buddy of mine grabbed some fire wood with some on it without knowing and it put me in the hospital for two days and every since if im within sight of any I break out. Best thing you can do is go to the doc and get the shot at the first sign of a breakout

Top Bottom