Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Too young or not?

F

firedog

I was wondering what your thoughts would be on taking my 6 yr. old (will be 7 in a couple weeks) out to a tree stand to observe deer. Friday looks like a decent forecast and I have a spot where I think we could atleast see some deer. They aren't moving thru this spot until the last hour of light so we wouldn't have to get there too early for him. What age did you let your son/daughter tag along?

I'd say go for it! Just make sure its fun and don't make him stay out to long right off the bat. Good luck!

Heck yeah! If you get lucky and have a lot of deer movement...maybe with some decent bucks you will plant the seed early in him and before you know if he'll be as bad as the rest of us!!!
grin.gif
I'm sure he would love every minute of it, being out there with dad. I'm looking forward to that day!!

Firedog I have a 8yr old son that can't get wait to go out with me on the weekends,shot a doe last Sun. I think is was the best thing he has ever seen. I say take him ,it will be some of the greatest times of your life.My son is so hooked and I love it!

Last night on Primos Truth about Hunting they showed where one of the guys took his 5 year old daughter out with him. Then they showed her when she was 12 going out and killing her very 1st buck. I'd say go for it!! At any rate if he gets tired or cold you can always climb down.
I wish that my dad had taken me out when I was little but I had to wait till I was 16 to get into a treestand!

Do it! Just make sure you are prepared to leave when they are tired or bored and don't let them freeze up either, that could cause them to hate it forever.

One quick story... I took my then 10 year old son last year for a late season, but relatively warm bow hunt and I let him rattle, etc. Sure enough he rattled in two bucks that evening and thought that was super cool. I remember when we climbed down to leave, he paused and said, "that was fun." That made it all worth it right there.

Also, be sure to be safe, make sure they are properly and securely strapped in, etc. Enjoy!

I'm 23 now and I was in a tree with my dad when I was 5 or 6. Now I am as addicted as it gets and it all started there. Dad still laughs at the memory of me wanting to talk in a "REGULAR" voice in the tree stand! I will be doing the same with my children. Good luck Friday, kill 1 for the kid(tell yourself that anyways)!!!!

I think as long as they want to go you should definatley take them. I have a 8 year old son that killed his first deer at 7. I do agree that you have to make the trip a short one. Let them decide when to leave. My son usually wants to leave about 30 minutes before dark!! The time spent with your kids in the woods will pay you back greatly. Go and have a great time.

I started my son at about the same age. He got his first deer at age 13 and he's never looked back.We hunt together all the time.Best thing I ever did, now I got a hunting partner for life .

Taking a kid hunting is one of the best ways to teach them good ethics, go for it.
waytogo.gif

Thanks for all the great replies. I think we will head out on Friday and give it a try. I'm gonna bring the video camera too. I've asked him about 10 times today if he was sure he wanted to go and he just smiles and says "ya dad". Hopfully I can keep him warm enough to last atleast an hour. I will keep everybody posted on Sat. or Sunday and let you know how it went. Thanks again for all the advice.
smile.gif

Top Bottom