Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tracking a Deer on to other property

Since there is a difference of opinion on this I decided to look into it further and call the DNR headquarters. I talked to a CO there and asked a few questions. The questions are predicated on the fact that there was a blood trail (i.e. evidence of a hit, not just your word that you have a wounded animal). Please note that I paraphrased the answers, they are not direct quotes.
1. Must you be able to see downed game in order to retrieve it? Answer: No.
2. Is the code of Iowa contradictory on this issue? Answer: Not in his opinion. He stated any gray area was left on purpose to allow for different situations.
3. After all is said and done can a landowner refuse to allow you access to his ground (assuming evidence of a hit)? Answer: No, a hunter has legal rights as well as the landowner. He also didn't think that a CO would ever have you abandon the search because the landowner was not willingly going to let you on as you have an ethical and legal obligation to retrieve wounded game. The landowner can ask to accompany you.

Please note that these questions were assuming the deer was wounded legally and that there was evidence (i.e. blood trail) of a hit. If there is little or no evidence of a hit then you are probably at the mercy of the landowner. It should be noted that the person I talked to stressed over and over again to try and get permission first and call your CO if that doesn't work. He also stressed that every situation was different and that there was no set answer for every situation. I think this may be where the confusion comes in, in some cases perhaps there is not enough evidence to allow someone access?

This is pretty consistent with what I have been told and taught in the past.

Let’s just hope no one encounters an irate LandOwner and is faced with this problem.

For the record, Don asked what is and isn’t legal, so I was only repeating the answer I got from the Polk County DNR CO 3 years ago during BowHunter Ed. I did not say I agreed with him, in fact the reason I remember what he said so clearly is because I doubted his answer so I asked him to clarify it, twice. If you check Double Lung’s reply, he got a similar answer from a DNR CO too. (wonder if it was the same CO)

The message I’m getting from the fact that SmallMunster is getting directly conflicting answers from another Iowa DNR CO, is that this demonstrates why this type of confrontation is a situation to avoid when possible. And if I as a hunter am ever faced with it, I will do what I feel is right and I won’t be surprised if I end up in court for a judge to make a decision on it.

It would be interesting to hear any and all precedence that have been set from anyone who has ever been in this situation, especially if they have ended up in court over it.

31045-cheers2.gif
Good Luck to you Gun hunters this next couple weeks.

IaCraig

To me I think it would be uneithical for aland owner to kick you off or not let you on their land to track a deer.
I think I would put ethics over law, because to me ethics is more important.
But if I actually did that, I would have consequences to pay... so i don't know what I would do, it's kind an iffy situation.
jason

Top Bottom