Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tracking help

Buckman23

Well, this evening was good and bad. I got a shot at a mature buck, but it looked far back and high. There was also not a lot of penetration. He ran off with his tail down and then kind of circled around in the thicket and then I lost him. Some time goes by(dont know for sure how long: Probally 20 seconds) and I think I heard a crash from the area I thought he was at. I am not for sure about the crash, but maybe. It looked like a liver or kidey hit, but again I am in a lot of uncertainty right now. With this type of hit could he fall within 100 yards and in the time frame of 30 or seconds? I was afraid to go look for him, but I looked in the field and found darker blood. There was not a lot, just droplets. What do you all think?

Kidney is supposed to kill fast, liver may take a few hours. Wait till morning at the very least.

[ QUOTE ]
Kidney is supposed to kill fast, liver may take a few hours. Wait till morning at the very least.

[/ QUOTE ] I agree with Muddy. I bet if you go back mid morning you will find him piled up! Good luck!

When in doubt... back out. You'll find him. Have fun sleepin though
smirk.gif

It's cold enough, and if the nasty rain/snow combo holds off I'd wait even longer just to be safe. Of course, I've already been in that boat this year and it didn't pan out like I preach.

Well, I looked for seven hours today and did not find him. There was not a lot of blood. It varied from droplets to about 3 inch circles of blood( found around 5 of this size). Then it came to the point at about 700 yards that I was only finding blood on things he brushed up against. I trailed him for about 1000 yards and then the blood stopped. I found the area around 250 yards from the shot and it was broken off in him. I did not get a lot of penetration and I think I am done using mechanicals. The blood on the area seemed to be bright red, but the blood on the ground seemed to be darker. Why is this? It also seemed as if we was making a fish hook shape with the direction he was going. What do you all think about this situation?

Dark blood is alot of time muscle tissue which is not fatal. The lighter red blood in probably artery blood which you also likley cut, but the artery cut was not large enough to kill the deer.

Top Bottom