Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ColoredRed24

Afternoon everyone! Hope things are going great this week!

Just had some questions regarding trail cam placement and treestand placement specifically on public land.

I have had some cameras out mainly around food to see what type of deer are in the area and have been seeing some decent pictures (no big bucks yet). But from what I have read/been told most of those deer won't be doing the same thing come early season and especially at the season goes on.

When do you guys move your trail cams to different areas throughout the season and what type of areas are you looking for during those transition time?

I am planning on having 2 stands at this public property, one meant for more early season situations and 1 that I wouldn't hunt until closer to the rut.

Is that a similar strategy that anyone else uses? Any suggestions? Should I totally base my strategy this year on what happened last year?

Also both of my stands are hang-ons with climbing sticks so they can definitely be moved midseason if needed.

Thanks in advance!

Personally, my strategy:

- All Season: Leave on 1) Field edges and 2) Micro Plots so I can see entry/exit points, timing of entry/exit, use and general inventory. Good to leave and monitor use and food supply throughout season into late winter / post season.

- Starting Sept: Scrape Locations - Predominantly for buck inventory purposes. Sometimes will place on rut funnel / travel corridor / pinch point if I want to see how it is used, or just learning property. For the latter, have to ensure the camera used does not spook mature bucks because it may be a corridor I'm hunting.

One last point to mention - Might be worth hiding cameras or put up higher on public.

Good luck!

Top Bottom