Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

***Trail Cam Pointers needed***

H

hawkeyefan

I just purchased a trail cam from Cabelas and am expecting its arrival this week. I want to get some good shots with it and wondered if anyone had any good advice on programming it, film speed to use, placement, etc. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks!

Set it at waist hieght, point it northward to keep the sun from flooding the photo. Try to set it up with you inteded target to be 8-15 feet away. I try to point the camera with an obsticle at the 15-18 feet mark. Before doing this I was getting photos that did'nt appear to have anything in them. I then realized that there were animals in them, just out of the flash range. I use 400 speed film. The other thing that I figured out resently is to go scent free, jsut like hunting. Rubber gloves, boots, and scent away spray. I'm getting more quality bucks since I came to my senses. There are alot of hunters on this site with more knowledge than me on this topic but after spending $10 a roll on 1 hour photo only to have 24 crappy photos, you get educated fast. Good luck.
waytogo.gif
These cameras are addictive.

Bowman

I agree with Bowman. The best places to get photos, are on a trail heading to a food source. Or look for a good funnel.
Good luck,

Bowman, if you have a HyVee grocery store nearby, check out their 1-hour developing prices. In Des Moines, I can get a roll of 24 developed in 1-hour for $4.99 - single prints. Definitely more affordable than some.

I'm in a catch 22 situation. I can get the same price as you but I was giving the landowner the doubles for his girls. They love them. So my price doubles. I've started waiting the day for regular developing. Problem is the landowner and his family have started counting on them and ask about them each week. To make the problem worse the landowner is showing them around and now has his brother very interested in where the photo's were taken and even wants me to mark on a map where my camera locations were.
wall.gif
I am very blessed as he is not letting his borther hunt (he has his own farm) but I'm feeling the pressure. Not quite sure what to do. I want to make him happy but....... At least developing is cheaper when waiting a day!
waytogo.gif

Bowman

Bowman, I get my film developed at Wal-Mart. I tell them I only want pictures developed with animals in them. They pro rate the price, and you don't pay for pictures that were set off by wind, etc. I also heard theat you can have just the negatives developed first and then pick the picks you want developed from that, making it even cheaper.

Wow! I'll check into that. I screwed up my last roll. I set it up on a creek crossing with high banks on both sides. Seemed like a good idea but the deer went through so fast that I got 20 photos of deer rears and the others were coons. Thanks for the tip.

That is true. We've taken rolls into Wal-Mart with instructions to only develop pictures with antlered deer and they'll do it. Not uncommon to have the pictures you want for 2 or 3 dollars. Of course, the best solution is digital...I think I've got my "better half" convinced that the $200 price tag is cheaper in the long run. Kinda rates up there with the "This is an investment" line I always use when buying a new gun
grin.gif

NWBuck

Thanks for the tips guys. If you think of any others, post them here. I'll keep checking back. Thanks again!
beerchug.gif

NWBuck,

If your wife is looking for that Olympus D380, better hurry, they're getting harder to find.

Hate to have to buy one she won't be happy with!

You guys can also try snapfish.com if you are not in a hurry for the pics. They send you these little baggies to put your film in and they are prepaid shipping. Drop them in the mail and they send you your photos and also e-mail them to you in approximatly a week. I haven't used them in awhile but it was very cheap and it was quality development. Also they are always running specials for free extra roll of film or extra set of prints etc.

I take mine to Sams Club. You look through the pics at the counter and only pay for the ones you want. There's been times I only pay 30 cents for developing one pic. I also buy the film there in 6 pack packages. It's alot cheaper.

All the discussion on where to buy and develop film is ok I guess but it really doesn't speak to the issue of the original question in this thread. Anymore advice on trailcam usage?
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

Bowman pretty much covered all the basics very well in his original post. If you want lots of pics put it where several trails come together leading to a feeding area. I use 200 speed in mine but have used 400 in the past. either will work. Have fun and learn.
peace.gif

I've had some luck with using my cam on scent drippers over mock scrapes..... Basicaly I started it to see if the scrapes really do draw bigger deer.. But yet I still have not drawn a shooter in when the camera was there . I did get several rolls of deer frequenting those sets..

Another possible set up I have had some luck with is useing my camera on road crossings where I frequent ly see deer on the road going to and from work!! I simply pull over and set it along the road facingaway from the road on trails ,,,,,Here in WI we have right of ways along roads so I am not actually breaking the law by setting a camera in that right of way...

Gritty

hawkeyefan,

I use ISO 400 speed film with my 35mm trail cams so the long distance photos still turn out good. Lower ISO translates into lower flash range. It's not a big difference with the Owl PF camera, but it could make a difference if the unit you bought has a lesser camera.
Check your batteries often...especially when you first get the trail camera. Learn the trail cameras battery usage...low batteries in most cams will either shut the unit down or snap off the remaining pics......one after another.
Find a way to turn the camera off and on without wasting a picture. You only have 24 pics. available so try not to waste any on setup or when checking the camera. Most good 35mm trail cameras have an exterior switch to disarm the camera from behind the tree.
Use 24 exposure film instead of 36 exposure. The longer film is hard on the autorewind...especially in the colder weather.

hags

Put the trailcam out last weekend. Should be interesting to see what I end up getting for photos. Appreciate all the tips. I'm kind of anxious to see what happens because after setting up the cam I bought (Stealth Cam from Cabelas) I'm guessing there's a very good reason it is one of the cheapest you can buy.

For anyone out there considering the purchase of a Stealth Cam from Cabelas.....

Save your money for a good trail cam. I and two other guys I know have tried this model and it's a piece of junk. If you want lots of exposed film with no pictures, this is the camera for you. Otherwise.....spend a little more and buy a decent one.
wall.gif

Top Bottom