Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trail cam Survey

So far so good. I want to hear more opinions/reviews on cams before I put together a letter and send it to a company. Lets hear it folks.

Please put actual time when you say "good on batteries." I think cams that don't need new batteries for 3 months are doing great, 3 weeks is fair, 3 days no way. Realizing cold weather and IR both put a lot more drain on battery life.

I have 3 models of Leaf River because my buddy can get them cheap. IR take good pics, are slow, batteries last up to a month depending on temps. White flash cams are slow trigger but can go all summer on one set of batteries. I don't have much free time to check them so I stick a really big memory card in and may not check back for a month some times. Have a very sturdy mounting system and lock well with a python lock. For less than $300 they do a nice job.

ive been using the wildview xtreme2, been working well for me. takes 4 c batteries,has wide angle coverage,usb output for pc download, 4 time settings,multiple exposer, or video,built in 16mb sdram can go as high as 512 mb, works well for the price,my pics have been great, gets what i need. ill download them to a file and send them over.i have 4 of them and have had great pics from all.

ibowbigbucks, i wouldn't mind seeing a few of the pics as I have been looking at these. I sent you a pm with my email, thanks in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please put actual time when you say "good on batteries." I think cams that don't need new batteries for 3 months are doing great, 3 weeks is fair, 3 days no way. Realizing cold weather and IR both put a lot more drain on battery life.

</div></div>

OK the cuddeback IR was out for 3 1/2 months starting December, pulled in mid March with 50% battery life in it. There was a cool snap or two in that time frame.

Don't know on the Moultrie for sure yet, but it seems to like the batteries.

Stealth cam was out for 6 week spand, which was the longest I left it without checking it, full battery life 1126 pictures, most night shots from mid February to end of March.

nannyslayer...Do you think that the great battery life of the stealth is model specific(V330) or holds true for all stealth cams?

Not sure, the V330 is the only cam that I have used of stealths, besides an old 35 mm cam. My buddy has a stealth 2.0 and loves that cam, battery life seems to be about the same as my V330.

Well after all this discussion and good things I've read about the V330's I hit up Google and Ebay. After much research, price comparing, shopping around, etc. I scored on a new Camo V330 for a grand total of $75 including shipping.

I also shopped around for a 12 volt external/rechargable battery and picked one up on bossbuck.com for $52 including shipping. So for a grand total of $127 I think I've got a pretty good trail cam set up ready to rock for this summer/fall. But I guess time will tell. Good thing I just got my mineral sites set up a few weeks ago.

I just bought a V330 on ebay also. I didn't do quite as good as you though. I guess the pressure is building on nannyslayer! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Dang you guys, I was trying to get another on Ebay as well /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif . You guys won't regret that cam at all. The only thing I don't like about the cam, out of every 1000 pics or so, you will get a weird looking pic, kinda like an inverted color pic. Doesn't happen very often, and so far it has only happened when you get a little one that plays around the cam a long time and it keeps taking pictures back to back.

nannyslayer, What size of memory cards are you using in your stealth? Does the larger cards have an affect on the trigger speed?

kev,
i wouldnt think the size of card would change trigger speed,there should be a trigger flash adjstment on the cam, the cam cannot automatically adjust to memmory, unless that thing is hifi.

Actually, the cam says that you can go to a 4 G card. DON'T DO IT. When you try to format it, it goes haywire. This was a 2 G card. I am sticking with the 1G cards from here on out.

yah on the ebay auction for the cam i got it said to use a 1G card. Nanny are they SD cards? or a different kind?

Top Bottom