Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trailcam Tip #1

vman

With trailcam use on the rise I thought Id start a Trailcam Tip sequence. Each week, Ill try to post a tip or pointer. Feel free to add your comments or suggestions and expand on what I share.

Tip #1

Protect that investment

Each year more than one trailcam has failed due to condensation build up inside the case. This moisture is not from a leaking case, but is caused from condensation that is formed in cold temps. This can be easily avoided by adding some kind of dessicant. I use this from Cabelas. dessicant I use the 3 cubic foot size. This can be found at your local pharmacy also. I have heard that they recieve it with their drug shipments. Talk to them nice and they may give you some.

And thats your Trailcam Tip of the week!

Great idea vman!!!! Keep them coming!
waytogo.gif

I put a small bag of Silica Gel in my camera case. Is the stuff you're using similar or am I off track using the Silica Gel. I understood that it was supposed to prevent moisture too.

We use silica gel at work in our air scrubbers and regenerate it by cooking it in a drying oven so it can be reused. Maybe you can do it with packets also.

where's all the tips...VMAN... where are you..., How do you keep a trailcam from freezing ,, it don't work in -35 what can I do. Besides hanging it up til' spring.
shrug[1].gif

Yes, the rut delay is over, but now the basement finishing delay is ON.....
Seriously, Im working on a couple new tips.

Alaskan, Is this homebrew trailcam?

Hey Vman! I'm a new user of trail cams and have one out right now. I was wandering, how high on the tree do you tend to put yours for the best pics?

what do you do when its cold?? 20 below, you never answered !!! I know -NOTHING! New battery's thats it.

Koba,
Sorry, I must have missed your question, or plain forgot? At any rate, sorry.

20 below is cold, and very tough on cameras. Some 35mm's will still work, and most digitals will probaly not. They will run through batterys rather fast also.
What kind of camera do you have?
Vman

Top Bottom