Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trailed one to a gutpile

Southpaw57

Well my friend shot a very nice buck Sat. about 4:00 pm. It's a deer that we and a neighboring hunter had been seeing, so we knew the deer well. He knew he hit it a little high, and we didn't have much blood, so rather than push the deer, we decided to come back the next day. After about 3 hours of tracking we finally found where the deer died, could tell by the thrashing around it had done and such. Only problem was the deer was gone, except for the gut pile. He was devastated. Hopefully word gets out on who found the deer so we can at least see it. Frustrating day to say the least.

Oh my gosh that is terrible for him. Was it public or private land? I hope somthing comes up.

The deer was shot on private land, traveled into neighbors land where we stopped for the night. It ended up making it just across the fence into a small piece of public land.

Exactly, what are you going to do with it? It's not like you could mount it, or be proud of it in any way. We talked to the DNR, and local hunters, they're going to keep their ears open.

Someone will mount it and make up a story to go along with it. They won't feel bad one day that they didn't shoot him. That is just the way some poeple are, lowlife slobs.

Sorry you lost your deer. I had the same thing happen years ago in MN. tracked a buck (my first) over 2miles just to find where he died in the ditch of a HWY and see were he was drug to the road. Gone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musky Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone will mount it and make up a story to go along with it. They won't feel bad one day that they didn't shoot him. That is just the way some poeple are, lowlife slobs.

</div></div>

Sad thing is, this is corect. It would be amazing how many guys out there will do this just for the glory of saying they got a buck!! Things that just make ya shake your head. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Keep your head up, and get back out there. Good luck to ya

I feel your pain. A couple of years ago I had a similar thing happen, only they didn't leave a gut pile. I could see where the deer died and the tire tracks where they loaded him up. I think that they were in a hurry since they knew I was hunting the area. All I can say is, get back out there and shoot another one! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

That sucks! I had one years ago, my first bow buck was taken by my stepsisters husband whos help I enlisted to find. I shot the deer just as the rain started to fall and wash away the blood trail. "He" found him the next day and kept it for himself telling me how could he know it wasnt the one he hit weeks earlier. He mounted it on a does cape, looks bad considering the rack was a 146 inch 9pt. Long story short, he kept the deer and my stepfather found the one he shot the next spring while shed hunting. When he asked my stepfather if he could have it back the reply was only if he gave me mine back. That deer was about a 125 inch 8 and it hangs on the wall of my stepfathers office, and "he" no longer hunts any of our properties. It sucks but all you can do is try, try again. Good luck!

WOW!!!! I can't believe it...........well I can, but I shouldn't be able to.

Sorry to hear about that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musky Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone will mount it and make up a story to go along with it. They won't feel bad one day that they didn't shoot him. That is just the way some people are, lowlife slobs.
</div></div>

Basically the same as a poacher.

Bummer your buddy lost his buck.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Unfortunately I had the same happen to me this year. Would have been my biggest deer to date. He was a huge, probably 160 inch 8 pt I had seen two nights in a row in the same spot chasing 2 does. I ended up moving closer on the 3rd night(Oct. 30) and at 530 he came out in the exact same spot with the 2 does again. I took a 53 yard frontal shot and buried the 29 inch arrow deep into his chest, he had about 5 inches sticking out when he ran by. An hour & 15 mins later my nephew and I began tracking him. We found 2 of the largest pools of blood I have ever seen, we continued to follow the trail in the dark for about an hour thru the thickest crap you could imagine, up and down the ravine directly within 10 yards of someone elses stand. At this point we had crossed into an adjacent property. We had a solid blood trail that abruptly came to an end in a small patch of switchgrass on the upper side of the ravine. (only 50 yrds from the other stand) Looked as though he laid down, lots of blood, piece of lung and the remains of my arrow sticking straight up out of the ground.. NO other sign of what should have been MY deer! I just dont get it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biggest buck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to hear about your loss. Unfortunately I had the same happen to me this year. Would have been my biggest deer to date. He was a huge, probably 160 inch 8 pt I had seen two nights in a row in the same spot chasing 2 does. I ended up moving closer on the 3rd night(Oct. 30) and at 530 he came out in the exact same spot with the 2 does again. I took a 53 yard frontal shot and buried the 29 inch arrow deep into his chest, he had about 5 inches sticking out when he ran by. An hour & 15 mins later my nephew and I began tracking him. We found 2 of the largest pools of blood I have ever seen, we continued to follow the trail in the dark for about an hour thru the thickest crap you could imagine, up and down the ravine directly within 10 yards of someone elses stand. At this point we had crossed into an adjacent property. We had a solid blood trail that abruptly came to an end in a small patch of switchgrass on the upper side of the ravine. (only 50 yrds from the other stand) Looked as though he laid down, lots of blood, piece of lung and the remains of my arrow sticking straight up out of the ground.. NO other sign of what should have been MY deer! I just dont get it. </div></div>

I hope you find him but wow, 53 yard frontal seems kind of risky to me.

Just for thought. What if it was shot by another hunter while it crossed properties, and maybe they didnt even know it was already hit untill after the fact? Also if it was a bad hit and nobody trailing it then what?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RIDGERUNNERS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for thought. What if it was shot by another hunter while it crossed properties, and maybe they didnt even know it was already hit untill after the fact? Also if it was a bad hit and nobody trailing it then what? </div></div>

While this is possible, I don't think it is probable. The deer bedded down twice on our private ground. It was then trailed to the public ground where it obviously thrashed around and died right across the fence of the public ground. It was also hit fatally, we believe, but did not pass through, so blood trailing was hard at first, but did start bleeding well towards the end, after it laid down the second time.

Top Bottom