Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Transitioning clover/rye to brassicas

cda77

I have half my plot in clover/rye. I'll be following it with the brassica mix in August. Wondering if it's better too spray the clover/rye before tilling under and planting brassicas or should i just till it under green. Thanks for any info.

I personally would spray it. Makes running the disc a whole lot easier and starts the breakdown process earlier & easier. U likely will need to really work it a few times in any case (depends on how heavy the disc is- some of my lighter ones I sometimes need to go over 2-3 times). Many discs do not effectively kill so spray is another plus for that reason.

I have half my plot in clover/rye. I'll be following it with the brassica mix in August. Wondering if it's better too spray the clover/rye before tilling under and planting brassicas or should i just till it under green. Thanks for any info.

I too have a rye plot that I would like put it into brassicas in late July or early August. I want the rye to come up again next year though. I have let it go to seed and thought I would mow it over then till it in and plant brassicas after that, hoping the rye will shade out any weeds and also regrow for next year.

I am not spraying, any reason this wont work?

U Dont wanna mix rye with brassicas unless ur talking bout the other mix on dbltrees rotation. U can let rye go to seed to have rye again but of course that's essentially seeding it incredibly heavy.
If u have rye now and want turnips & radishes- u do not want seed in there. U will need to kill rye before going to seed or plan on a couple rounds of clethodim & crop oil to kill the rye out of the turnips & radish.

U Dont wanna mix rye with brassicas unless ur talking bout the other mix on dbltrees rotation. U can let rye go to seed to have rye again but of course that's essentially seeding it incredibly heavy.
If u have rye now and want turnips & radishes- u do not want seed in there. U will need to kill rye before going to seed or plan on a couple rounds of clethodim & crop oil to kill the rye out of the turnips & radish.

Not trying to hijack your thread cda77...What would be best to put in with my rye after mowing it then? I want to leave it as a rye plot but add something. I am putting another 2+ acre plot of clover and brassicas in but want to keep this 1 acre rye plot going.....chicory?

What "other" mix on dlbtrees rotation are you talking about? Ive searched and cant find anything.

So if you're coming off of mature rye right now, you want to start the process of killing it off and leaving a clean seed bed. Several ways to do that. Is there seed on there yet or no? Basically, if may take you a little time but you wanna start the mowing & killing process (you may have a couple round-up applications needed) so you can put as much of that as you want into purple top turnips & Radishes (daikon, tillage, ground hog - all the same). They will go in ground July 20 - August 15 at the latest. They need a clean seed bed and you likely will need to hit that portion with clethodim & crop oil about 2-3 weeks after planting or when you notice any grasses or rye competing with them.
The portion you would like to continue rye - you have lots of options there as well. If you wanted to do it just winging it and ok with heavy seed, just work it all up again with the seed there and add some clover, winter peas & small amount of radish to that mix and have that completed Aug 25-Sept 10.

So if you're coming off of mature rye right now, you want to start the process of killing it off and leaving a clean seed bed. Several ways to do that. Is there seed on there yet or no? Basically, if may take you a little time but you wanna start the mowing & killing process (you may have a couple round-up applications needed) so you can put as much of that as you want into purple top turnips & Radishes (daikon, tillage, ground hog - all the same). They will go in ground July 20 - August 15 at the latest. They need a clean seed bed and you likely will need to hit that portion with clethodim & crop oil about 2-3 weeks after planting or when you notice any grasses or rye competing with them.
The portion you would like to continue rye - you have lots of options there as well. If you wanted to do it just winging it and ok with heavy seed, just work it all up again with the seed there and add some clover, winter peas & small amount of radish to that mix and have that completed Aug 25-Sept 10.

Thanks for the help. My only problem is that my rye is 4+ft tall so id have to mow it before i spray it, but when i mow it wont all the seed drop to the soil essentially reseeding it?

Thanks for the help. My only problem is that my rye is 4+ft tall so id have to mow it before i spray it, but when i mow it wont all the seed drop to the soil essentially reseeding it?

probably, yes. What I'd do is start the process now though.... So say you went and mowed and sprayed over the next week. Ok, that's fine, let the seed germinate and spray once or 2 times with round-up. If you get Rye that does germinate, you have plenty of time to kill the flushes that come up. If any grass or rye comes up when the turnips & radish come up - 2-3 weeks into the growth of grass, hit with Clethodim and then the radish & turnips will take over and completely shade out the area. All this is very doable and several ways to go about this.

Top Bottom