Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree fencing and deer damage

TimberPig

Since I'm enjoying my new found pic posting abilities I thought I would post some pics of my field windbreak. These pics show how significant the difference is between deer damage on different species and fenced vs unfenced trees. The pines and spruces were planted spring of '04 and the cedars were planted spring of '05. All are DNR nursery stock and were the larger of the two available sizes.

This is one of my best Norway spruce, which is about 48" tall. The fence has protected this one so far and it put on nearly 20" new growth last year. Most of the spruce are around 30"-40".
997fieldspruceA_jpg-med.JPG

This is typical of the damage I see to Norways, which is mainly just from bucks.
997damagedspruce_jpg.JPG

This pic shows that they will browse Red Cedar, but the damage was minimal. Unfortunately they nipped the main leader.
997cedarbrowse_jpg.JPG

This pic shows an unprotected white pine between two that are fenced. White pine might as well be deer candy and the difference is dramatic.
997sidexside2_jpg-med.JPG

Here is another side by side example of white pines and this is consistant throughout my planting. It is rare to find an unprotected pine that isnt damaged. 90% of pine damage is from browsing as opposed to rubs.
997sidexside_jpg-med.JPG

Here is what is left of a Red Pine (I think) next to an unprotected Red Cedar. The deer's preference is obvious.
997pinecedar_jpg-med.JPG

The fact that fencing would work is pretty obvious but the pics really show how much difference it makes. I originally thought if I planted enough trees the deer would get a few but the majority would survive. I was way wrong, the deer nailed 90% of the 1000 or so pines in the first year. This is not a high deer population area, but they do have 365 days a year to work on them so it only takes a few. There is corn and beans all around these trees also.

Here are some other observations:
White pine seems to be preffered over Red pine, but they will definately browse both.
Browse damage to Norway spruce has been limited but they do like to rub them to some extent. Short fencing (even 24") has solved that.
Thus far, fencing as short as 32" has totally eliminated browsing. I'm sure deer could get to them if they really tried but they dont seem to bother.
It is my opinion that if you have any deer and cant fence your trees you would be wasting your time to plant pines. Go with red cedars or some type of shrub that can handle the deer pressure or are not preffered browse.

don't take much if the deer walk by them once a day every day and take a couple bites out of each to add up! Gonna have some great habitat there in a few years!

Great pics TP thanks for posting! Sure makes the case for fencing very obvious!
Guess I better get busy on mine
smirk.gif

My neighbors windbreak buy his house looks the same. Its real close must be night time snacking.Your right they hardly mess with the cedars.

We planted about 2000 spruce trees last year thinking the deer couldn't get them all. They have either eaten or pulled most out of the ground. I was going to plant more this year until I saw the deer damage a couple weeks ago. I would say most of the damage was during the winter since my trees looked untouched in the fall.

I called the Forester had him change this years plan to 100% cedar.

Tim

Just curious, how big around did you make your fence? I don't see any stacks or posts. How are you keeping them from moving the fence.
We planted a bunch of oaks and Maples tree's ranging from 3-10' tall last summer. I knew a few of them would get nailed in the fall by the bucks rubbing and nibbling. We got them all for free so wasn't too concerned with loosing some. Wasn't expecting to see as much damage as I found the last time I checked on them.
Looks like I should be investing in some fence too.

I didnt measure any but I would guess the cages are 4'-5' across. About 26 squares of fencing if I remember right. I dont use any stakes to hold them down because I move them occasionally to mow. The deer so far have not attempted to move any of them, but they will occasionally get caught up in them and flip the cages as I mentioned. When that happens I'm not sure I would want them to be staked as it might make it harder for the deer to get out. You can tell they are doing it accidentally because the cages are smashed and deformed, not just flipped over.
If the deer were smart enough they could easily flip the cages over with their noses, but so far they havent figured that out. Btw, if you dont ever move them the grass/weeds will grow in and through the lower wires and actually hold the cage down quite well.

Somebody else on this site suggested doing this so I am not taking credit. I sure thank them though. I was out again tonight looking at the difference and was really glad I caged as many as I have. Still need to do more though.

TP, check near Malcom.....they have been taking this (fencing) out like crazy the last couple days.

Ryan- If you mean across from the cemetery, we already checked! That is some very nice fencing and apparently somebody else thought so too. Apparently they volunteered to take it out if they could have it.
Thanks for the heads up though, I'm always looking for some more.
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom