Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree Stand Etiquette

THEBAD

What do you do when some one else hunts the same property with permission, and puts ther tree stand 10 yards from yours ?

I had this scenario sort of a few years ago when some one didnt have permisson, but in this instance they do.

I hunt private land , surely most hunters even on opublic land do not pull this crap.

Just one so called hunter from Portsmouth Iowa

I worked with a guy that had this happen to him. I think this is a little overboard but he took a SH*# on the other guys stand. Talk about a mental picture!

Who would do that anyways I know I wouldn't set my stand right next to someone else. If I where you I would talk to the farmer or who ever owns the land and find out who it is and work something out or tell him to move it.

I had this same thing happen earlier in the year. I was hunting the stand one evening and the other guy came in. I don't think that he knew my stand was there. Anyhow I kindly asked him to take it down and I also mentioned that I had moved one of my other stands when I found another of his. Guess he was too lazy to scout on his own. Well he moved his, I moved one of mine and we now get along fine and share info now when we see each other. It can work out and you may actually make aother buddy. You got to talk to him first to see what you are up against and go from there. Good luck.

That reminds me of a time many years ago, probably the mid 1970's when I was about 16. I had a stand on private land about 40 yards from the border of a state park. I climbed into the stand way before daylight on opening morning. When I got settled in, I saw this glwing red light off to my left, then it went out. It was pitch dark. A moment later I saw it again, then it was gone. Really erie man. I watched it go off and on for few minutes and then it was gone altogether. I was kinda scared because I couldn't figure out what would be making a glwoing light like that out in the woods in the early morning darkness. As it started to get light, I noticed movement over that way again, and a match lit! Holy smokes, there was a guy in a treestand not ten yards from me and he was smoking!!!!! Boy was I mad since I was the only one who had permission on this land and I walked a lot of beans for the farmer before he would trust me enough to hunt there.

Anyway that property is today a public hunting area known as the McGrady property on the North side of Pilot Knob state park. There are some good bucks killed there every year, and I once had sole permission to hunt it. If only I knew then what I know today about hunting those bucks.

Do they know that you have a stand there? Maybe it could be that they don't know that you are hunting there. Just an idea.

later

Top Bottom