Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree tubes in flooding river areas

iowathumper

I thought I would pass on my experience with using tree tubes on bottom ground near a river that will flood.><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
The <ST1:pIowa River</ST1:p goes through my property and you can usually count on the river flooding at least once every year most of time due to snow melt but, on occasion a lot of rain like this year.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
I planted 300 3-4 ft tall Bur oak, Swamp white oak, pin oak, trees using a combination of 5 Ft ½” PVC and ½” EMT & Bamboo for stakes and 5 ft tree tubes.<O:p></O:p>
I drilled all the holes with a one man 9” earth auger. These were planted in spring 2011<O:p></O:p>

I kept the area between the trees mowed and used roundup around each tree every year.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
We got lucky and the river did not flood in 2011 a little in 2012 maybe ½ ft 2013 was a disaster you can see the river height on the trees up to 6 ft in places.
<O:p</O:pSo here is what I learned.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p> </O:p>
None of the stakes held up very well. The Bamboo stakes broke off at the bottom some hung on the tree due to tree already out the top of tube and would not come off due to branches, the PVC stakes bent over at the bottom and are not reusable, the trees stayed in that position till I came to rescue them, the EMT stakes bent over at the bottom as well, both of these type did keep the tube on for 75% of the trees, the rest floated down the river some where.<O:p></O:p>
I did not get down last fall to remove the leaves from any of the tubes last year. So what I think happens is when the river starts to come up the tubes stakes bend over and the sediment from the river fills the tubes up, getting caught in the leaves, weight down tree tube, and then the water starts to dig out around the base of the tree 2-4” deep which then tilts the tree at a 45 degree angle. A big mess now!<O:p></O:p>
I also had some 18” tall trees I planted with 5 ft tubes and above stakes, the same thing happen with them. Except the tube just bent over in the middle like a upside down “V” by collecting the sediment from the river.<O:p></O:p>
The last thing I learned is even though the tubes helped the tree grow at a faster pace then normal, (A good thing) and they kept the deer from rubbing them (Was my biggest fear), once the tube is removed the trees have NO BACKBONE at all, they literally can not stand up on there own.<O:p></O:p>
If, I had to do this project over again.<O:p></O:p>
I would plant the trees without tubes, and use a stake to mark each tree, and keep the area around each tree sprayed.<O:p></O:p>
I am in the process of mowing the area now so I can work on the trees, my plan is to remove all tubes from the trees that can stand up on there own, the ones that can not I will re-tube, and stake after every flood.<O:p></O:p>

Last edited:
I'm sure some people have success with tree tubes, but I am not a fan. I experienced same as you with the trees not having any backbone when I thought they should. Pretty much a person is committed to those tubes until the trees are large and can't get the tubes off by then anyways.

I got them for one purpose, was to protect against deer. Didn't work good, the tubes are bulls eye and deer can just go along them munching them as they come out of the tops of the tube and in the fall, some buck deer loved the attraction too much and would knock the tree tubes to the ground on a lot of them. I would use electric fence posts as the stake on them, usually the rebar thickness type.

Flood & removing tubes

It must be frustrating to have worked that hard to install them only to have flood waters sweep many away and permanently bend the stakes of others, but it seems a tall order to expect plastic tubes to stand up to 6ft of moving water - That's an absolutely huge amount of force pushing against them and stirring up the soil around them. I'm amazed that any of them were still there after that.

On the strength of the trunk when removing tree tubes - The biggest mistake tree tube users make is they remove the tubes much too soon. Tree tubes are designed to remain in place for several years, first for browse protection & growth acceleration, second for support until the tree becomes self supporting, third for bark protection from buck rub and rodents. They are not meant to be removed right when the tree grows out the top.

The newer vented tree tubes coupled with pvc stakes that flex in the wind produce a lot more truck diameter growth than the old unvented tubes with rigid wooden stakes... but even then it takes at least a full year after the tree emerges from the tube before it will be wind-firm, and leaving the tube in place longer protects from buck rub.

If your site gets flooded to that degree on a regular basis tree tubes might not be the answer. But for other sites with less flooding (2-3 feet or less) they will do great, and you'll be really happy with the results if you leave them in place longer until the trees are stronger.

Top Bottom