Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Treestand Fall

Prayers sent. We use lifelines on ladders too.

Use Linemans belt on way up and hang lifeline then on way down after Season. If hanging and hunting one time we use linemans up, connect belt, hook on, then step on stand. Just make sure connected at all times regardless.

Dangerous stuff guys.

Last edited:
Hope nyles recovers fully. I always have a harness on but nothing up and down the tree. Stay safe out there guys.

I have a lifeline in every tree, 90% of tree stand accidents happen going up or down. Even without stress on lines and harnesses the integrity can go away over time. Is your life worth the couple hundred dollars every few years? I owe it to my wife and 2 little boys who can't wait till daddy gets home.....

Scarey...hope he is ok. The older I get the more I want 16 ft ladders and haybale blinds on carts.

Tragic. My prayers are with him for a speedy recovery. Do you know? What kind of harness and how old was it?

Yeah, same thing I was going to ask and say. The rest of us can learn from this incident and I'll be praying for a speedy recovery.

Can't talk but a second, we are talking about the Lifeline System is what we all need to wear. A line on you from the time you leave the ground until you are are back down. Don't have the link, Google it and add someone, please.

Nyles is fine, tough guy, it sucks but we are good hard bow hunters and want to help people understand. It's the climb up and down that is the most dangerous !

Talk later!

TH

So what happened? How did it break exactly? Homemade lifelines are easy to make and I have $15 dollars in my whole setup from line, prussic to carabineer.

Man, that's easy, looked at them last night.I can't believe I haven't been using these! A picture does say 1000 words doesn't it.

I am off for photos and as soon as I am done I will run down to hospital and get details.Local CO interviews him at 9:00 am, probably a standard thing I am thinking.

My thought process is a wee bit different than most but hear me out ..."who we are as bow hunters" should matter a lot. What I mean by that is this year I made a point of joining the Pope and Young Club because I believe in the same things the believe especially when it come to ethics.

Someone mentioned if one of us falls it affects more than jut us, it affects our families, friends our employer and the list goes on and on. How do we get more bow hunters to "buy in" on how important this is? Is it the DNR's responsibility to do educational meetings? Should the IBA join in? I know my answer, curious as to what others think.

Got a roll man, perfect day, good hunting!

TLH

Someone mentioned if one of us falls it affects more than jut us, it affects our families, friends our employer and the list goes on and on. How do we get more bow hunters to "buy in" on how important this is? Is it the DNR's responsibility to do educational meetings? Should the IBA join in? I know my answer, curious as to what others think.

Got a roll man, perfect day, good hunting!

TLH

Personally, it is only your responsibility to make sure you are safe. I think the hunter safety courses should have that included now too (maybe they already do). People need to know this stuff is available. I noticed on the KS website they encourage hunters to harness up...wish there were also some videos on how to properly do that.

Then, you have to try out the gear, do a mock fall and see how you can get back on the stand/sticks. Cause you hang from a fall long enough and you are dead that way too.

No reason to fall 4-6', keep the prussic up high as you move and keep it high while on the stand...makes it easier to get back into the stand if you fall that way and make for great leaning shots too.

Last edited:
Prayers to your friend! Letemgrow, less than $15 in your whole set ups? I cant find the main line rope for under $15. Where do you get your rope? THanks!

Just visited FT he is doing fine, quite a story, I will spit it out soon. He appreciates the prayers and well wishes, really! Great guy, our thoughts and prayers to the Iowa City hunters family who wasn't so lucky.

I did call Muddy today and talked to Steve, they have a system called Safe Line I believe, more on that too.

I posted a pic of Nyles flat on his back in the hospital, just to give him a rough time. It's on my Twitter page, easy to do from phone.

@whitetailimages = to whitetail images no space or dash

Personally, it is only your responsibility to make sure you are safe. I think the hunter safety courses should have that included now too (maybe they already do). People need to know this stuff is available. I noticed on the KS website they encourage hunters to harness up...wish there were also some videos on how to properly do that.

Then, you have to try out the gear, do a mock fall and see how you can get back on the stand/sticks. Cause you hang from a fall long enough and you are dead that way too.

No reason to fall 4-6', keep the prussic up high as you move and keep it high while on the stand...makes it easier to get back into the stand if you fall that way and make for great leaning shots too.

The Muddy and other harnesses have sections sewn together that I believe when u fall are supposed to pull free, somewhat lessening the jolt. Doing a mock fall with a harness might not be advised by the manufacturers. Not sure.

Practically speaking, does it make sense to install these on ladder type stands too? If so, where do you connect the lower end of the line?

I absolutely think it makes sense to install Life Lines on Ladder stands and I have them on ALL of my ladder & 'regular' stands. I just tie it off to the bottom with a little slack in the line- enough that you can move the line out of your way when you're to the top, but obviously not so much that you're pulling a bunch of slack every time you raise it up.

As others have said most falls happen on the way up or way down and I won't leave the ground without being hooked up to one.

The Muddy and other harnesses have sections sewn together that I believe when u fall are supposed to pull free, somewhat lessening the jolt. Doing a mock fall with a harness might not be advised by the manufacturers. Not sure.

I "fell" from about 4' up in a tree off the ground. No reason to try the system 20' up when you only fall a few feet on the stand no matter how high it is to begin with.

I used a harness that came with a new tree stand and pitched it after I used it to try out the safety line...

Prayers to your friend! Letemgrow, less than $15 in your whole set ups? I cant find the main line rope for under $15. Where do you get your rope? THanks!

REI had a sale on them at the time. They are normally $14 I think for the 8 MM, 30' of line.

I was in the woods with my best bud Nyles after he fell. He called me screaming for help. At first I thought he was playing around. his harness didn't break, but what happened was the hooks to his strap unhinged and he plummeted, needless to say I hauled ass to the exact location where he was hunting. he was lying there lifeless! I tried my hardest to get him on my back, but he was hurt way to bad.his Leg looked mangled. I laid him back down and ran to the next main road to get service and call 911. it was a tragic scary accident. thank god we hunt together and know right where all our stands are. The fire department wanted to cut his pants off. he goes hell no these are my best pants.Worst hunting accident I've ever seen. he is doing better and home from hospital.

Top Bottom