Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tried my hand at trapping for first time

I didnt get too technical with it, bout 18 traps and watched a few YT videos. got into it late in the year so didnt have time to mess with dying and waxing.
4 cats and a yote plus a few skunks and a slug of coons and possums. Not too shabby for only running them for a month.
IMG955457.jpg
IMG955458.jpg
IMG955463.jpg
IMG955672.jpg
IMG955747.jpg
IMG955875.jpg
IMG955877.jpg
IMG955961.jpg

Skunks have value?!?
Im gonna be trying this. Got others doing it & I finally need to learn it.
I wondered if a guy put a cell cam in distance (not too close to spook things but just close enough so see if something in trap)?
How many sets u think I should start with on my place? Got time for whatever!! & would I ever do 2 traps per set for better chances?

Skunks have value?!?
I wondered if a guy put a cell cam in distance (not too close to spook things but just close enough so see if something in trap)?
How many sets u think I should start with on my place? Got time for whatever!! & would I ever do 2 traps per set for better chances?

Skunks don’t follow the fur market as much because they are a novelty fur. It stays pretty consistent.

Always double set. On your place could set 50-100 sets in no time. Remember coyote/cat sets take way longer to set and reset than dog proof coon traps, you’ll also need dry dirt and wax dirt or peat moss if you want them functioning when it gets below freezing.

What were you targeting the most?
Ironic that you caught more cats then coyotes.
What lure/bait were you using?
Great job none the less.

I skinned two skunks back in the late ‘70’s. Fur buyer gave me 50 cents extra each for being skinned. Got $3 for the pair, should have tanned them and made hats.

My focus on trapping in retirement will be raccoons. Busy trapping the trash pandas in the farm buildings now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty impressive for your 1st go at it! I don't know if I'd haul that skunk around though :eek:
I've got a buddy of a buddy that is going to flesh out and send the bobcats and the skunk to get tanned. Wouldnt have messed with the skunk but he was almost all white and will be pretty to have hanging in the mancave

Skunks have value?!?
You could run about as many as you have time to set/check/reset.
I would start with a dozen or two and see how much you like it. it can be a chore.
I put tcams on most of my sets but still checked them per trappin laws, I did a few double sets and I do believe that will up your odds a fair amount.

Skunks don’t follow the fur market as much because they are a novelty fur. It stays pretty consistent.

Always double set. On your place could set 50-100 sets in no time. Remember coyote/cat sets take way longer to set and reset than dog proof coon traps, you’ll also need dry dirt and wax dirt or peat moss if you want them functioning when it gets below freezing.
I ran mostly peat moss, cheap and easy though not as good as that waxed dirt stuff.

What were you targeting the most?
Ironic that you caught more cats then coyotes.
What lure/bait were you using?
Great job none the less.
Targeting cats and yotes the most. Coyotes are a lot harder to catch than cats. The diversity of the habitat on my place has lots of food for both coyotes and cats but the lack of immediate rowcrop on my farm its self makes it more conducive for the cats is what trapping buddies have told me. I have mostly crp, little draws adjacent to cedar thickets with some hardwood timber. Several coveys of quail and tons of rabbits around.
I did kill a bobcat in late november as well during deer season, so thats 5 cats off my place this year. I got them on camera all the time but assumed it was the same 2-3 cats at most, turns out I was wrong.

Top Bottom