Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trouble finding acorns on river bottoms

D

deerman

My old deer hunting spot has been haveing trouble producing acorns.This I see none.Its on the river bottom so I don't know if that has anything to do with it?15 years ago ther were unbelievable amounts and they were very large.Each year since,they got smaller and less amounts.Does anyone out ther know the reason??

To honestly asnwer this question you would need some extra information. If the trees are very old this could be one reason for fewer mast as some trees produce less as they grow old. If there has been some flooding herbicides in the water could affect the mast as could damaged root systems or drowned roots. All mast crops come and go in cycles. Some are heavy every other year others every third or forth but this sounds differant.

Most trees on the bottom of the river are dead. They make good fish cover but don't produce many acorns. A good set of goggles and fins may help! Hard to blood trail'em there?
wink.gif

Only two things Scout is good at. One is killing big deer and the other is coming up with sarcastic jokes! Never take the man seriously! Maggs

Thanks Kentucky.I to have wondered if the flooding carries unwanted chemicals.These are very old trees.But back in 1983 the acorns were as big as half dollars.I should tell ya these are big black oaks,if that makes a difference?

Top Bottom