Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trouble with dry weather and new clover

I planted Whitetail Institute clover approximately may 15. We've only had a few rains and the clover is doing very poorly. If it doesn't come around, does anyone have suggestions of what to replace it with for this fall? It's next to 6 acres of corn and soy beans. Maybe an annual like oats or should I just plant more clover this fall instead of waiting til spring?

If you have access to a drill you can plant clover and rye/oats/winter wheat right over top or till it up and plant the two. Another option would be to plant clover and brassicas early fall.

I had the exact same problem 2 years ago.I waited and eventually got enough rain for some of the clover to take.I went back in early Sept. and reseeded.It took right off shortly after that.Just letting you know what worked for me.Good luck!

I would agree with the previous replies. It may still come if you get some rain but if not, fall is a great time to re-plant.
That's the risk of spring planted legumes...you have nothing but hot dry weather ahead but in the fall it's much cooler and September is typically a high precip. month.
Let's hope we get some good rains soon!

Last spring I put in WI clover and it did not rain much, and the clover looked bad. This year it is 12" tall and you cant see your feet, don't give up on it yet.

it's hard not to disc it up. not sure where all the grass came from, but it's there now. I'll wait till end of july, then spray/disc/harrow/cultipack/plant/cultipack.
This has been a very dry June for the Indianola area. My fault not getting the clover in sooner, it's that bowhunting turkey obsession I have.

Top Bottom