Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey Dates?

Blaster

PMA Member
Does anybody know why this years hunting seasons are a week later?
shrug[1].gif

I would think the youth season has a something to do with it. I guess they didn't want that season to go through Easter weekend.

I had heard that it had something to do with the 1st season being kinda slow the last two years (not sure that this is true), but that is what I have heard from a few other die hard turkey hunters.

Last year i seen most of my birds in 1st season. In fact by 2nd season they were beginning to hen up!

I've been hunting 3rd season every year for the last few years due to scheduling issues, but have yet to kill a turkey. This year it's going to work out where i pretty much get to pick my season. Any thoughts on which season would be better?
It might not be a case of which season, but the fact that i can only call in hen's.

First season hands down.
Birds are less wary and have not been pressured very much. They usually are not henned up and will come readily to a call.
The only bad thing is the weather can be pretty adverse at this time of the year. Fourth season you can also pick mushrooms but the birds are pretty educated by then.
Good luck to you.

Last year I went out chasing around big gobblers during youth season because I am a youth. If i remember right I didnt see a single tom. The closest bearded bird we saw were 4 jakes that were 100 yards away from us cutting across a corn field and paying no attention to our calling. Then 2 weeks later during 2nd season I was out with my dad while he was hunting. He called in around 10 diffrent toms between sunrise and noon. 8 of which were within 60 yards of our blind. So I am not going to do youth season this spring. That is just my input. Good luck!

I hunt turkeys with a bow, so I can be out there all season long. It seems like when it comes to calling turkeys in it is hit or miss, depending on the day and your area. I don't think any season is better than another, unless you're hunting a heavily pressured area as the birds may become call shy. I have many times called birds in after 10am, because they have bred hens and are out searching. I was with my uncle last spring, and we watched a tom breed a hen around 9:30am. Immediatley after the tom was done, we called him in and he came running! One thing is for sure though, scout and hunt hard and you'll most likely get an oppurtunity.

I agree with some of the above posts. I hunt 2nd and 4th, more out of tradition and when I am more likely to get time off. All the seasons can be killing times. Even in areas I am hunting that are loaded with birds I still spend time scouting every chance I get. Take the approach of scouting like you were deer hunting and you will call in and kill more birds both spring and fall.

The best time to hunt turkeys is when you have a gun or bow in your hand and the day off!

What is the DNR's reasoning for so many chopped up little seasons. Here in KS, I can hunt from April 1 until May 31. I want to hunt up in IA, but can't justify the non-res prices for a 4 day season
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What is the DNR's reasoning for so many chopped up little seasons. Here in KS, I can hunt from April 1 until May 31. I want to hunt up in IA, but can't justify the non-res prices for a 4 day season

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, i'm not really sure, but if I had to guess I would say it is safety issues. The way they have it set-up now, they don't have to worry about everybody and their dog rushing to the woods all at once. They also have second season set-aside for Iowa residents only.

Top Bottom