Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey down

killer buck

After a long year of should of could's with the bow, and one day left to turkey hunt, I picked up the shotgun. I headed down to one of my friends farm, to give it a try.

We went out Thursday morning in hope they would fly down where they have been flying down all year. But as hunting goes they flew down the other way. So we called till but nothing was responding at all or even barely gobbling. There was just a one gobble every now and again on the other side of the farm. So we decided we have nothing to lose, so we head in the direction of the gobble. We go about a mile, and hit some train tracks and we havent seen the gobbler yet and we peek on the tracks, and a quarter of a mile down the tracks there is the one gobbler right in the middle of the tracks drying off his feathers from the rain. So we belly crawl threw thick brush about a quarter of a mile. When out of no where a train start coming down the tracks right as we were about to pop up and give it a try. I thought for sure the turkey was going to get away. But instead the train pushes the turkey right to me, about 25 yards and I drop him. So after a tough year I finally got a bird.

23 pounds
10" beard
3/4" spurs

picture.php

picture.php

My friend has tamed turkeys, so When I brought my turkey back, they all got fired up and wanted to fight him. Which was kinda cool to see.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Congrats on the bird!!! 34 inch spurs is impressive!! :) Does your buddy rent out his turkeys for decoys? :)

Great story, I'd say that is the first, "a train drove him to me" story I have ever heard. :D

Something to try with your friend's pet turkey...put on a red shirt/coat, etc, and see how they like it... ;)

That is pretty amusing to say the least - and that applies to both the train pushing the bird to you and those photos of the turkey reacting to your bird! Congrats on bagging your bird - you put yourself in possession for success the way it sounded! :way:
-Longspurs-

Top Bottom