Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey Hunting Tips

lefler168

Since Turkey season is going to start in the next couple of weeks for Iowa hunters, and has already started in other states, i think that it would be a good idea to share some tips of the trade. Weather its advice on "how to" or "what to do" for gun hunters or bowhunters, lets here about it!

I would say that the best advice to get/give is to "do your homework". Scouting is priceless. Get out there, camo up and watch and listen to those birds. Find out where they are roosting, where they like to fly down, where they like to strut, eat, drink. The list goes on and on. If you can go out and roost a big bird the night before you hunt, it makes sneeking out there in the dark to set up much more exciting!
Also, take the time to pattern your gun or shoot some arrows every year. Know where you are shooting, and your limits.

I like the phrase. "You can call a turkey anywhere HE wants to go."

You'll have the best success if you can pattern them before you hunt.

Get in between them and thier destination. Then calling them in range will be much more productive.

--- When you think it's time to move, stay put another 20 minutes
--- Put emotion into your calling
--- Turkeys can be funneled much the same as deer
--- Make your set-up where a turkey has to come into range to see your decoys(around a corner, over a hill, etc...)

These are just a few things I have learned over the years. Good Luck

Make sure you have your tag on ya'!
shocked.gif

If a bird is just out of sight ( behind a thicket or just over a hill), rake the leaves like a hen scratching. Make 2 or 3 loud rakes by reaching down beside you. Easy call. It has closed the deal for me on a few toms.

...don't do what everyone else does...
...a wing is an amazing call...

Don't give up so fast! On those mornings where there is a flurry of gobbling real early and then it seemingly shuts down around 6:30A to 7:00A, many people bug out of the timber thinking the hot action is over for the day. Really, the gobbler has just drawn one or more hens to him and he will tend to quiet down in the presence of the hens.

I'll many times lay down and take a nap to pass the time up until about 9:30A. Along about 9:30A to 10:00A many times the birds that assembled first thing in the morning will split up. This makes a given tom vulnerable. I have shot many gobblers over the years between 10:00A and 12:00P, when many people have given up for the day.

I have said for years... one gobble at 10:00A is worth more than 100 gobbles from the roost. A bird that gobbles after 10:00A can almost always be killed.
grin.gif

I echo what Daver and Tombuck say about patience and staying with it. Mid to late morning can be very productive, especially if you've got some idea of where the birds go to feed/dust and can set up to intercept them.

Along the funnel lines, look for "holes" in fence lines. Many times a bird will hang up on the other side of a fence but if you can set up near an opening - natural or manmade - they'll usually take the path of least resistance.

If you hunt with a buddy, switch off calling ... if he's using a diaphragm, then you use a slate, or box. When you get a response, stick with the call that got him going. The guy closest should call at first but then switch to the other one so the bird might think his gal is moving on and he'd better get there quick.

When you set up, make sure you're shifted far enough to the right to cover a wide area (if you're right handed). I've had birds come in too far to my right and I'd have to been a contortionist to have gotten a shot off. Now I'll sit down first at what seems comfortable, then shift another 1/8-1/4 turn around the tree.

Man, 4th season seems a long way off ... I'm ready to go right now!!!

Good luck to all,

Threebeards

If you think you want to move after sitting and calling in one position for a while. WAIT, when your ready to move, and it's fairly quiet, wait for a half hour or so. You never know what's coming in silent, and you never will if you pop up and move. I've had a couple of birds sneak in on me and when I got bored of nothing talking back stood up to move to the next ridge. All I ever saw of them was the back end as they high-tailed it back to where they came from... Patience grasshopper!!!!
grin.gif

Shredder, Did you have such an experience w/ poison ivy. If so, that must have been horrible.

When a tom is hesitant to come in, call to your backside to imitate the hen moving away. This has helped me bring a few toms into shooting range. Obviously though, move as little as you have to. Great tips guys, keep em coming.

Spot and stalk is my favorite form of turkey hunting, don’t be afraid to try it on a tom that’s in the distance and hasn’t seen you yet. I’ve used the terrain and belly-crawled to within 20 yards of several toms and taken two this way. I still call, especially first thing in the morning, but there’s nothing like putting the sneak on a big ‘ol tom. This is where being small has an advantage.
grin.gif

Top Bottom