Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey Run & Bowing with Cameraman - Need help...

WKP - Todd

Ok guys, I'm no turkey expert, but I am trying to figure out the best way to run and bow for turkeys while filming. I have a ghost blind, but I honestly don't know if I could pull it off with a cameraman.

Any suggestions from guys who film? I've got bale blinds and stuff set, but in the case like this morning when they weren't by us, we wanted to move in, but man, I don't know how to pull it off with a bow and cameraman! Any suggestions?

that's the beauty of a 12 ga loaded with 3-1/2" #6's.. no blind, no dekes.. move from tree to tree at your convenience.. still tough sometimes, i've eaten many bowls of tag soup, but, sure is fun stalking them and not having to sit around in one spot all day waiting for them to come to you... I know that didn't help your ? out at all, but, just saying..:drink1: good luck man.. will be tough to beat your gobbler from last year no matter what you do.

Wow that sounds tough.

I prefer to sit in one spot and let them come to me instead of running them to the nieghbors to shoot or to never come back.:way: But I dont have big tracks of timber to hunt.

Wow that sounds tough.

I prefer to sit in one spot and let them come to me instead of running them to the nieghbors to shoot or to never come back.:way: But I dont have big tracks of timber to hunt.

:way:

You can still get great footage setting up and waiting for them no?
Just curious why run and gun? Unless its because you like to hunt that way which is fine, just can REALLY make for tough hunting by bumping them consistently.

IF though you want to do it, I would think as long as you don't get TOO close, simply do as the gun hunters and get one hammering, don't sky line yourself, set-up at a distance that allows for blind set-up not to be heard, and your gold :way:

Usually (from the guys I know who hunt them alot), you sit the mornings / late afternoons and when it seems they aren't close, you go after them a little. Kind-of a bonus hunt on the back of a morning sit. Any other ideas would be appreciated. I may have to contact Sarah Lee and see if I can stock my farm with white turkey's for next year, might be easier to see them! he he he....

Running and bowing is annoying. I prefer to sit tight for a few hours and then try and quietly locate a bird and reset on them later. Land terrain is huge here, if u ain't got ways to sneak around u might as well sit tight.

Running and bowing is just not fun or relaxing and I usually refuse to do it.

A Ghost blind eh? There's $200 you'll want back, those things look like junk. Let us know how it holds up.

Buy a good blind and go after them. Should be no problem. A ghost blind in my opinion is not a good blind for bowhunting turkeys. Buy a double bull dark horse and chase them as much as you want to.

Check out Heads Up Decoys! They have a new strutter decoy that is bow mounted. They have spot and stalked and killed several nice toms this spring and got them on video to boot.

http://www.headsupdecoy.com/

Find them on Facebook, lots of info on how this years's turkey season has been going for them. Lots of birds on the ground.

Last edited:
Gotta agree with Muddy. I've wore a lot of boot leather runnin and gunnin. It's fun but a lot of times you're always one step behind. Can't imagine doing it with blind and bow. The more years I hunt, the more I believe you're better off scouting strut zones and just waiting. I've read it a million times, PATIENCE kills more turkeys than any other tactic.

Gotta agree with Muddy. I've wore a lot of boot leather runnin and gunnin. It's fun but a lot of times you're always one step behind. Can't imagine doing it with blind and bow. The more years I hunt, the more I believe you're better off scouting strut zones and just waiting. I've read it a million times, PATIENCE kills more turkeys than any other tactic.
I have learned that the hard way too.

hey todd, im no expert either but i film and my neighbor just built me a bow blind from fabric and old arrows and it really does a great job of consealing the hunter and only weighs a few ounces. Im sure it wouldnt be hard to make one for the camera we just havent done it yet.

Sitting and waiting is a waste of time anymore for me.....I'd rather run and bow or run and gun. You can go to the excitement. As for hunting with a camera man...that would be tough and you may just have to wait in boredom until one comes to you.

Check out Heads Up Decoys! They have a new strutter decoy that is bow mounted. They have spot and stalked and killed several nice toms this spring and got them on video to boot.

These look like they would work.

How safe is it to put a strutting turkey on your bow?

Some times I feel nervous about having one infront of my ground blind in a open field.

These look like they would work.

How safe is it to put a strutting turkey on your bow?

Some times I feel nervous about having one infront of my ground blind in a open field.

You would be crazier than a pet coon to use one of those things. Great way to get shot in my opinion.

Look into a product called Hide A Bow. Its a blind that mounts to the front of your bow and doubles as a bow stand. The owner gave me one at the Wisconson Deer Classic. That way you can have that and your cameraman can have the ghost blind.

Thanks for the help guys. We've been using the blinds and I don't know of a way to do it without a blind. May try a double ghost blind set-up later this week if we have no luck in our bale blinds.

Top Bottom