Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkeys With Legbands?

S

SHEDHEAD

We recently had turkey release in our area and all the birds were leg-banded by the DNR. Has anyone shot these leg-banded birds in your area and what information did they gather from the state about the bird? Did they send you a certificate similar to the one you get when you harvest a banded duck or goose that shows the bird's age and where/when it was banded? The release took place here five years ago, and we should have a limited season next year, so it will be interesting to see if any of these banded turkeys are ever harvested.

SHED-

I helped trap and band turkeys down by Lake Geode and Burlington ammunition plant about 2 years ago, I believe that you can send in the leg band number and get the information on it. I also believe that they'll send you a certificate similar to that of a duck or goose, but don't quote me on that. The man who may know some more on that subject would be Tim Thompson at the Coralville Wildlife Unit. If you want I can look up that number when I get some free time, or if you want to it should be in an Iowa City/Coralville book.

Top Bottom