Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turning the corner in the real estate market?

It seems like a lot of farms (and some real good ones) are going for sale in Appanoose and Monroe counties recently. Why are guys bailing from this area?
I have a feeling you are going to see more of this, and not just these counties, if you are a NRLO.
You take EHD outbreaks, bow tag wait hitting 5-6 years, no longer able to party hunt during gun, and prices are super high, people may want to cash out and either do something else with their money or buy in another state. You can get 1.5-2 X the acreage in KS for the comparison in price and you get a tag every year.

I have a feeling you are going to see more of this, and not just these counties, if you are a NRLO.
You take EHD outbreaks, bow tag wait hitting 5-6 years, no longer able to party hunt during gun, and prices are super high, people may want to cash out and either do something else with their money or buy in another state. You can get 1.5-2 X the acreage in KS for the comparison in price and you get a tag every year.
EHD may be a big cause. Older landowners not wanting to wait years for it to recover. Aren't they shooting a lot of deer (bucks too) on the Missouri line in MO for CWD? That may be causing people to sell that are near the Missouri line?

Didn't Monroe get obliterated by ehd this past year? Could be a reason.
I don't know about 2023, but I do know that large sections of Monroe got hit hard with EHD either 3 or 4 years ago now. I bought an implement from a guy over there either 2 or 3 years ago and he was lamenting the dramatic EHD loss they experienced the year before. Absolutely PRIME looking ground and very few deer to be seen when I was over there, FWIW.

If they got double whammied again in 2023, I could see people being motivated to sell out.

I don't know about 2023, but I do know that large sections of Monroe got hit hard with EHD either 3 or 4 years ago now. I bought an implement from a guy over there either 2 or 3 years ago and he was lamenting the dramatic EHD loss they experienced the year before. Absolutely PRIME looking ground and very few deer to be seen when I was over there, FWIW.

If they got double whammied again in 2023, I could see people being motivated to sell out.
Pretty sure they did. Maybe someone over there will chime in

Pretty sure they did. Maybe someone over there will chime in
Very spotty, some areas got hit pretty good but not nearly as bad as 2019 while other areas were absolutely fine. The areas where the majority of the farms are for sale were not hit very bad last year. A couple of those farms are turning over quick because guys think there’s gonna be a bunch of 180 plus bucks running around and when there’s not they go looking for the next farm to be disappointed in.

Recently saw an Appanoose 120 sell and then the new guy had it listed as an 80 and a 40 within a week. Dunno if he sold them or not.
Just a total FWIW...about 20 years ago now I travelled to southern Texas to hunt javelina, etc, and the "locals" there were lamenting this ^^ very phenomenon. Parcels being split up and resold. One of them had a name/term for the practice..."segmentation".

It’s still for sale, it’s the 3rd time it’s been for sale with different owners in a year.

l
Post up listing if u want. Curious what realtor.

The list of how to “ruin a state” …. I’ve read the book… it’s called “Michigan regulations” - free. Great read!!!! ;)
That list is about 10-20 items long. SEGMENTATION of land into smaller chunks is for sure on that list!!! Ruins neighborhoods!! Ruins areas. Seen this all over this state. Seen it GONE WILD in MI, IL, WI, etc. Absolutely best way to trash any management & a quality herd. I would avoid areas like this at all costs!!!! High land prices create more of this. Greed, auctioneers & short sighted sellers that want a quick buck all add to the problem.
One reason I am hoping for relief on these insane prices. It’s softening some & we need it badly.

Pieces are still moving but at least it isn’t “name any price and have people lined up” crazy. That 99 in Van Buren has been reduced by almost 40% of the original listing price. Now it’s almost at market value!

That 120 in Appanoose was listed with Kiloterra when I saw it sell, then a couple days later there was some random Facebook ad I got with some kid trying to sell “his” farm as an 80 or 40. Drawing a blank on his page’s name. Some type of land management maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pieces are still moving but at least it isn’t “name any price and have people lined up” crazy. That 99 in Van Buren has been reduced by almost 40% of the original listing price. Now it’s almost at market value!

That 120 in Appanoose was listed with Kiloterra when I saw it sell, then a couple days later there was some random Facebook ad I got with some kid trying to sell “his” farm as an 80 or 40. Drawing a blank on his page’s name. Some type of land management maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sat on the market with lynch real estate for awhile last spring and when it sold I think it was down to 4800 an acre, looks like a broker from heartland properties bought it, put in some plots and blinds and listed at 6200 about 6 months later and now the new owner relisted like a week after the closeing by himself and is trying to slip it up. Must not be getting any traction because whitetail properties has it listed now. If splitting up farms continues it’ll have disastrous effects on quality down the road, unfortunately I see it becoming more common as prices have gotten out of reach for most people and they can’t afford a 160 but can afford a 40.

I think splitting land up is horrible for buck age structure for obvious reasons. But land is so expensive now they almost have to spilt it up to sell farms. Even wealthy people cannot afford to buy land now, it's only the ultra wealthy that can afford to buy medium to large tracts. I'm not sure what the future holds but I'm guessing land will continue to be broken into small parcels and will only get worse with time.

Top Bottom