Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Two down and season is over

jclaws

PMA Member
Well i have been a little too busy to post but i shot the first turkey on monday and i just shot the second one this morning.Monday everything came together like it was suppose to.Got setup before light and had 5 toms gobbling all around me.They ended up flying down and heading the other direction.The spot i am hunting is a open bottom ground that is cattle pasture,next to a huge oak timber,The turkeys always roost in the oaks and there is no way to get in there without them seeing you.so i always setup on the bottom and after they fly down if they end up going away i just head uptop in the trees and setup.Well i had only been setup in the timber about 5 minutes when i heard 2 toms answer the call,and it sounded like it was a mile away.After 5 more minutes i called again and bam they were 100 yards out and coming quick.All i had out was a hen decoy so once they got to 35 yards they hung up and just strutted.So i had to let the goldtip gladiator do its thing.He only went 10 yards and flopped over dead,Thats when the other tom decided to whip up on him.I wished i would have had bought my 2nd tag then because i could have ended my season right then,i am not a big fan of getting up at 5:00 unless im deer hunting and its november.
DSCN0060.jpg

DSCN0058.jpg

I wish the second hunt was that easy but it seems like i have to manualy add a little excitement to the hunt.I ended up hunting a timber that was just logged two years ago so it has brush piles all over the whole timber.I actually lost a turkey in there last year because it went over a hill into the brush and i couldnt find it.well i got setup on a logging road well before light,I had one tom gobbling about 100 yards away,well he ended up flying down and working his way in.He hit the logging road about 55 yards down and seen my jake and hen decoy.Here he comes, well he got to 15 yards and i decided to let him have it.I thought i smoked him till he started gobbling.I knew then that i must have hit him in the breast.Everytime i would call to him he would gobble.he was now 60 yards to the south of me gobbling his head off.I kept calling and he started heading back my way but he stayed over the hill where i couldnt see him.He was actually now going to cross the logging road again to the north.Once he got to the logging road i ranged him and he was 74 yards out and facing away.Well i had already hit him so i decided to try to take the shot(Which i would never try had i not already poked a hole in him).I got a lot lucky because i drilled him.I watched him run over the hill with my arrow sticking out his back,and he was headed for the same ditch that i lost my turkey in last year, so i flip my blind up and take off running(which is not the thing to do when you are as physically fit as me).I got to the top of the ditch and stop and i see him flopping in some tree tops.So once again i take off running.I got down there and i could not find him anywhere.I checked for 5 minutes and nothing so i decided to look around some other piles.I got just over the hill and found my arrow coverd in blood next to another brush pile.Well i looked all through it for another five minutes and no turkey.My mind was telling me that he got away but i wasnt giving up that easy.Thats when i looked 5 feet away and there he was tucked under some brush.Needless to say i was pretty excited to have this bird.If it wasnt for luck i wouldnt have anything.
The pictures are self taken so i didnt take to many.
Good luck to everyone else out there!
DSCN0070.jpg

DSCN0069.jpg

Wow, I believe that's the longest bow/turkey shot I've ever even read about. Pretty incredible. Congrats.

I would have rather left that part of the story out.But it is what it is.I could shoot 100 arrows at a turkey at 74 yards and never do that again.

Thanks guys!

Top Bottom