Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Unbelievable

T

Tinks69

Yesterday while out trying to call in a coyote I came across the most turkeys I have ever seen in one spot. I tried counting them and when I reached 100 I decided that was enough. There was at least 200 birds all together. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was snowing pretty heavily and they were all bunched up waiting out the storm. I know where I will be going this spring...

I went out for a while yesterday and all I saw was turkeys also. That's my luck. Last spring as I set up on a tom and began calling. The tom instantly got quiet and after 2 minutes I found out why. I shot a hungry mother coyote that thought I was a breakfast burger.
See I go coyote hunting and see turkeys --Go turkey hunting and see coyote.

Thank's to good managment by our DNR and NWTF and other great organization's and thousand's of sportman's dollar's we now have some of the best turkey hunting in the country!
We were hunting the late doe only season in southern Iowa and also seen huge group's of turkey's everywhere we went,it was AWSOME!!
Join a conservation group if you already have not and give something back to the sport we all love and help preserve our wildlife here at home,it will be time and money well spent!!

wink.gif

That is pretty common survival grouping for turkeys during the late seasons and rough weather in a good area. It was nothing to see them in flocks numbering up to 200 birds in southern Iowa 10-15 years ago. One harsh winter day we spotted about 200 in one field and about 100 across the road only a half mile away on the Chariton river bottom.

Make no mistake, it does not mean guaranteed success in that area come spring. But is a true blessing to see them in great numbers. I used to think about how the buffalo might have looked grazing out in the picked bean fields in late winter.

I too have seen tons of birds this winter....but just like BW said....come spring its not a sure thing! One area I hunt has huge groups of turkeys in it during the late winter months...but when spring rolls around it is pretty tough to get one to gobble in the area. They just seem to wander over to the neighboring property. In another area, I see tons of birds in the winter, and each one seems to be in the same spot in the spring. All these bird sightings are getting me excited for spring!
Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

Good news on the turkeys. Turkeys bunch up in numbers this large in the winter, and seek out good food sources. In a few weeks, those large flocks will start to split into smaller flocks and start dispersing into other available habitat where there is food.

Where you find turkeys now will be excellent places to spring hunt, although there will be fewer birds there, but certainly plenty to hunt.

If you want to keep birds on the property you hunt, set up a good feeding/food plot program there and the birds will winter there and be there in the spring.

Roger Raisch
The Turkey Pro
www.TurkeyHuntingSecrets.com
pro@TurkeyHuntingSecrets.com

Top Bottom