Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Undiscovered Monsters

lxshooter

On Monday a few friends and I were sitting around making Pete Coors alittle richer and we started talking about deer hunting. After a few stories of the big bucks we had all seen in the past few years, my buddies neighbor came over and tossed a few back with us. He told us that he over heard our conversation and figured that since he USE to hunt he would tell us about some big bucks that he has seen in the past. Now when someone who says that they use to hunt "alittle" tells you about the big bucks they had seen you kinda wonder just how big they really were. I mean to some people a 130" 8pt is a real big buck. Anyway he started telling us about this buck that he shot in 1990 and it was a 10pt that had a 22" inside spread and really heavy. Being the curious person that I'am I asked if they took pics of it because it sounded like a great buck, he said no I dont have any pics of it but I do have it mounted and its in the basement. He invited us over to take a peek at it and he wanted to know if we thought it was big or not.

Down in the laundry room, in the back corner on a hook that was pounded into the cinderblock was an ABSOLUTE GIANT. The inside spread was indeed 22 1/2" and a offical pope and young score sheet laying in a pile of other papers next to it. Gross score of 199 4/8 and a net score of 188 even. I never would have thought that this guy would ever have anything like this but low and behold there it was.

Now lets fast forward to tuesday. I'm at another friends house and we were doing the same thing, recycling beer cans, and I told the story about Dan's neighbor who had a monster tucked in his basement. Well it happened again, Tom started telling us about a deer his dad shot 8 years ago while shotgun hunting and it was some freak of nature, then he invited us up the road to his parents house where the buck was mounted, once again in the basement. This thing was jaw dropping. 4 drop tines, 3 on one side and a lone 9" on the other. Tom's dad told us that he wasnt even going to have it mounted but the others in the group talked him into it. He had it scored and all he knew was the final score was 199 and something, but couldnt remember what the gross was.

Now for the last few days I have been sitting around wondering.....just how many undiscovered monsters are sitting in someones basement or garage?

I'm guessing that for every monster you know about there are ten others "in a dark corner" somewhere. My brother is a plumber in Sioux City and tells me of huge mounts and sheds he sees in homes all the time.

I wil let you in on a secret....
smirk.gif
smirk.gif
smirk.gif

There are no undiscovered monsters in my basement..

I sure wish there was though!!

It amazes me too that people have shot deer like that and have never said a word to anyone.
A lot of them dont want you to know their "Secret Spot"

I think we probably all know this type of story from some where. My latest was this spring when I brought in some new sheds to show the other deer hunters, when the new hire says "I should bring in the ones I found when chiseling this spring." The next night he brought in 3 sheds scoring 75 to 82 inches typical. And none of them were a matched set! Needless to say I picked up some new hunting ground.:)

[ QUOTE ]
I wil let you in on a secret....
smirk.gif
smirk.gif
smirk.gif

There are no undiscovered monsters in my basement..

[/ QUOTE ]

that the truth!!
grin.gif

unless you can find a way to score mice and roaches
evil.gif
evil.gif

I know a guy who has a 214" shoulder mount laying on its back in the corner of his living room. I've only been to his house 3 or 4 times...the last time was in January and his kids had some winter coats piled on top of it.

Top Bottom