Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Unfilled shotgun any deer tag

brian1684

Im new to hunting in Iowa and can't find the info im looking for anywhere. I bought an any deer tag for shotgun 2 but did not fill it, work got in the way and only got to go out twice. Do I just lose out on that tag, or can I use it for late muzzy season? I was planning on hunting it with my bow, but then realized I could not get an any deer tag since I bought the one for shotgun. I have already filled my bow any deer tag and I have been tracking a nice 10 point where I hunt. Just wondering if im gonna have to let him walk and hope he is there next yr, or if i see him can i take a shot?

You lost it. Can't use it for any other season. Unless you have a landowner any sex tag, you are done buck hunting for the year.

If you bought a bow and shotgun 2 any deer, your done for the year as far as shooting bucks. Your only option is bow or late muzzleloader doe tags. When shotgun season ends, that tag is no longer valid. Goodluck with the 10 next year, he will be bigger!!!

Thats kind of a rip off. I did buy a bow doe tag, im not gonna miss out on the extra hunting, just be nice if i did see him i could shoot. But thanks for the quick responses guys, makes me replan my hunt a little bit for tomorrow. You would think they would let you at least buy the late muzzy any deer tag, just to get more money out of you if you did not fill it during shotgun.

Last edited:
Ya but then u will have everybody doing it. I Just go late muzzy every year. But i still have my bow tag too. Ill fill them both with the bow and call it a season. Im ready to find some sheds!!

Why is it a rip off? You are the one that chose to hunt the seasons that you did. The tag systems are set up properly and are one of the reasons that Iowa is as good as it is. Each season gives plenty of time to fill a tag. If you are going to be selective on the size of the buck you want, than Bow and late muzzy will be your best bet. Keep that in mind for next year when you purchase your tags. :way:

Why is it a rip off? You are the one that chose to hunt the seasons that you did. The tag systems are set up properly and are one of the reasons that Iowa is as good as it is. Each season gives plenty of time to fill a tag. If you are going to be selective on the size of the buck you want, than Bow and late muzzy will be your best bet. Keep that in mind for next year when you purchase your tags. :way:

Have to agree with this statement.

The rules were in place before you even bought the tag.

It is up to the individual to read through them and know them.

Now that it does not work in an individual's
favor it is a rip off? :rolleyes:

Your other option is to be a landowner and then you can get a LO any sex tag also.

Good luck on your big ten and keep us posted on his progress.

Ya but then u will have everybody doing it. I Just go late muzzy every year. But i still have my bow tag too. Ill fill them both with the bow and call it a season. Im ready to find some sheds!!

th_facebook-like-button.jpg

I can go all the seasons mwhahahaha (Besides Holiday and Nov. Antlerless)

Horncrazy said:
So does that me a land owner tag that didn't get filled during 1st and 2nd season is good for late muzz?

No that just means you can get three buck tags.

Sent from Cooter's iPad using IW

Top Bottom