Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Unusual start to the season

DoneRight

PMA Member
Is it me or are there more big bucks getting taken early this year? I know the cold front had alot of them up on their feet for a few days, a little earlier in the day. I know there have been 5 B&C bucks taken in the Des Moines area urban hunts, the Guthrie co buck, the Adair co buck, the couple in the PMA, Vandy's buck in Lee Co. There's probably been a few more that nobody's talking about yet. Its the 10th of October, and there's at least 6 bucks I've seen that are at or over 200 inches that have been killed. I don't remember a year where so many giants have been taken this early. Just my observation.

Easy winter, great spring, leads to little stress and great antler growth. Couple this with a ton of management going on privately and you have what we are seeing this year. With the early cold snap and hopefully a "normal" rut, this should be a banner year across the midwest.

Helps to have alot of the crops out this early also. Can't wait to see what is in store for the rest of the season :way:

Its been cold and the crops are coming out. I'm not suprised, just extremely entertained. I love seeing these giants hit the dirt this early.

Its been cold and the crops are coming out. I'm not suprised, just extremely entertained. I love seeing these giants hit the dirt this early.

I think the first weekend of bow season and a nice cold front definitely helped get some big boys on their feet earlier in the day than might have happened normally. But i also think the low water supply and food scarcity are contributing factors too. On our whole farm right I think there are only 3 places where a deer can get a drink of water. In normal years that would be 5000 places.

Browse is spotty in the timber, relative to a normal year, and I haven't seen any acorns to speak of, so our food plots were quite popular last Saturday.

Went tonight, the last cool day for awhile so the forecast shows....I was evidently too late. I saw one buck at a creek crossing at 5:15 and that was it! Corn is still in though, so I think in my area that is affecting movement.

Is it me or are there more big bucks getting taken early this year? I know the cold front had alot of them up on their feet for a few days, a little earlier in the day. I know there have been 5 B&C bucks taken in the Des Moines area urban hunts, the Guthrie co buck, the Adair co buck, the couple in the PMA, Vandy's buck in Lee Co. There's probably been a few more that nobody's talking about yet. Its the 10th of October, and there's at least 6 bucks I've seen that are at or over 200 inches that have been killed. I don't remember a year where so many giants have been taken this early. Just my observation.

This has kinda been the trend the last few years! I think it can be atributed to food plots!!

Easy winter, great spring, leads to little stress and great antler growth. Couple this with a ton of management going on privately and you have what we are seeing this year. With the early cold snap and hopefully a "normal" rut, this should be a banner year across the midwest.

Helps to have alot of the crops out this early also. Can't wait to see what is in store for the rest of the season :way:

X2. Exactly what DG said. Getting anxious to see the rut in full swing and what becomes of all of our season. Hang in there ppl it's gonna be good.

Not many bucks were killed last year because of the mild weather.
Alot of those bucks made it through last year, and are now mature.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom