Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

US Supreme Court may rule on NR

Do you really think those Judges and lawyers no how best to contol and regulate game animals? I think "Big Government" needs to let the states handle their own issues.
Pupster

I would much prefer that the state DNR, resident and non-resident hunters come to agreement on a fair allocation of tags to non-residents and non-resident landowners rather than rely on the courts or legislature to do so. Iowa will face this situation in the very near future if nothing is done to address these two issues in a more fair manner. It is only a matter of time until a non-resident landowner with deep pockets files a law suit against the state to get gauranteed tags. If the court system and legislators take up the issue the final result may be far worse than a modest increase in non-resident licenses and making provisions for all landowners to get deer tags.

Guess what the above information is something that will effect the laws in Iowa i allready know there is some seriuos eyebrows being raised over the Arizona issue. Trust me with the way the law is now very lopsided, which to the resident. Which i am ok with but i think this is going to change sooner then we all realize. I believe the tag allocation will most definitly go up this year based souly on the Arizona suit.

Land owners know what they are getting into when they buy land. I haven't seriously considered purchasing anything because of that reason. I am getting a little tired of all the whining. I will keep putting in every year and let the drawing sort things out.Its not the end of the world if I can't hunt an Iowa buck every year. I am with the residents on this one.

Although it will be interesting to see how this plays out, I think it is premature to say that because there is a lawsuit in another state that there will definitely be an increase in NR tags issued this year. That sounds like wishful thinking to me!
wink.gif

Where would something like that end up anyway? State universities charge NR students more than residents, is that OK, etc?

Just proves what a 3-ring circus the judicial system is today. A state, any state, should be allowed to control what goes on inside it's borders, in spite of the ambulance-chasers.
If the NR tag allocation goes up it will be for pure $$ reasons, regardless of this suit.

I am very familiar with the drawing systems in most western states, and also Iowa. I apply to over 15 each year. Rest assured there is a reason Arizona was targeted in this suit. Of all the western states, they run the biggest scam, duping NR's into thinking their odds of drawing are MUCH better than they actually are. They distribute only 3.5% of the quality elk tags to NR.

There is no wonder they were sued. I predicted it on the Arizona forum last year and was laughed off. They are laughing no more. AZ pushed ethics way too far in their advertising. They remind me of the scammers I compete with in my business.

Almost all the western states discriminate worse each year against NRs, in the name of $$$. I am conservative politically but this is one example where I want federal regulation. The states are slowly locking us out of OUR federal land. I think we should all have at least a reasonable chance to draw in any state. As a groundrule I think an unrestricted 10% of all tags should be aimed towards NR's in states with large % of federal land. The only states that exceed this that I can think of are NM & CO.

Iowa is really a different issue, there being little federal land. I don't have the answer for that. But I can say I'd like anyone to at least have a chance to hunt in any state they want. I doubt the AZ case will ever effect Iowa in it's current form. Anyway I think Iowa allots just the right amount of tags to NR currently.

The thing that really irritates me is the overwhelmingly selfish attitude of the AZ residents in this situation. Go read the comments on their forum. They bitch about not drawing a tag and want to hand out even FEWER tags to NR's, yet many of these same guys turn right around and apply/hunt in all the other states in which THEY are NRs!!! Like NM, UT & CO. How would they like it if NM reduced the % of NR tags from the current 22% to 3.5% ? Or how about a reciprocating drawing odds regulation!?!

Many AZ's also argue that their state manages for mature animals therefor the residents should get the tags. What kind of logic is that? Us NR's are a huge reason the age structure is so good in AZ, since we've been restricted from hunting for so long. We've done more than our part to minimize hunting pressure. We've paid the price. I agree the quality is better there, but it's still federal land and all NR's should be given reasonable access to hunt it.

One should look at all the angles before drawing an opinion.

I wonder how all the people down south and east would feel if everyone wanted to hunt their state. They don't, so they can't possibly understand how we feel. Alot of NRs seem to forget that the reason we have the herd we do is by limiting the # of hunters coming in here. Also, this herd was managed by residents to get to the level it is at. I don't see how NRs, who are unable to agree/manage their own herd, could have much valuable information on how we should manage our herd. It's all 'me', $, etc. You like our deer so much, then move here. Then you are guaranteed a hunt every year.

And anyhow, I believe there are alot bigger fish to fry in our supreme court than NR hunting! Don't you think?!

Actually this is a huge issue that definitely belongs in the Supreme Court. The kind of thing this court was intended to rule on. Special interest groups have been fighting over the use of our federal lands for years. There is a tremendous amount of federal land, and this case has much farther reaching consequences than just interstate commerce, or drawing quotas. That is why so many other states have jumped on the bandwagon. Greed for their piece of the pie. They are able to manipulate tag distibution and profits from OUR land.

Although federal lands are not specifically targeted in the formal court documents, they are in fact the root of all this issue. For legal reasons the plaintiffs stand a better chance of winning the case using the interstate commerce strategy.

As I mentioned earlier I really doubt this case will effect Iowa NR tag quotas. I sure hope it doesn't. I think reciprocating fee/quota structures would be a fair way to regulate states with so little federal lands. Limiting tags in quality managed states does provide some incentive for us guys in states like Indiana, with crappy management, put pressure on our legislators to do something for us. I think it's slowly getting better. Very slowly.

I have read all the court documents and have some concerns over the repercussions this could have if upheld. But if nothing else it will definitely bring attention to the ongoing problem that is nonresident descrimination. I hope their is some middle of the road compromise if possible. I cannot move to Iowa, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Kansas, and Montana (as well as Indiana) all at the same time. But I'd like to be able to hunt all of these places and more.

Could it come down to the fact that all states will have to limit ALL buck/bull tags for NR and resident as well? If they don't, then how long untill a state like Iowa with its limited amount of cover, becomes shot out? The states would have to enact a "limited buck harvest" management sysyem. If this passes as an "unlimited" nonresident tag number, then Iowa can kiss it's great quality of whitetail hunting goodby. And it won't take very long either. I don't say this to sound snobbish Its just that I think its a fact that states like Iowa, Ill, and Kansas will see thier quality go down hill, and very fast at that. When you get a group of hunters in state that have never seen a 130 class buck, or at least believe it's "huge" at the size, well, they'd be taking quite a few 3 1/2 year old bucks out of your herd, bucks that could possibly be B&C contenders in a year or two. For the sake of quality hunting everywhere, we better hope that this doesn't pass as it is being proposed.

Top Bottom