Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Venison Thief

BW

You know it's getting pretty bad when one hunter will falsely claim another hunters deer. I was headed down south the last weekend of the antlerless season and was itching to try out a new rifle I bought last summer. I picked up one of the last Winchester M-70 LA .300's. I had the perfect sniping spot in an old abandoned limestone quarry. Six does tried to cut across at about 300 yards and I settled in on the lead doe and fired. I looked up to see what looked like 6 mice running back to the timber. Having never shot that far before I figured I could have missed so I sat for a bit and picked up all the fillings from my teeth. Not 5 minutes after I shot, I see a bobcat strolling across the side of the quarry and it slipped into the timber not far from where the deer had entered. It was really neat to see it. I wondered if it was smart enough to relate a gunshot to food opportunity. It was evidently smarter than I was. I sat for about 30 more minutes before hiking across the quarry to check the trail. I found evidence of a good hit and the deer not far up the trail. As I aproached the carcass, I could see loose hair. That little scumbag had ate about 2 pounds of meat out of the rear end of the doe and very carefully tried to cover the rest of the carcass with snow, sticks and leaves. That was a first for me. Made the hunt extra special.

hhhmmmm, i wonder only two things i ever heard of burrying there prey a grizzly bear, and a cougar

mike

You bet bobcats will bury their prey. That is just the cat instinct. Back in mo, we have no limit on how many cats we can take. I have seen many of times that a cat would check my trap set with bait, and bury the bait without hitting the trap. Trust me, their crafty little critters. I usually would average 15 a year trapping, but I had to work my butt off for them.

269DL360_Buck_012-med.jpg

Damn cats.

The 'Bonker

I had almost that same thing happen last year. I left off tracking a doe to let her bed and went back early next morning. Found it under a cedar tree completely covered with grass and snow. One front shoulder and part of a back strap had been eaten on and tracks of maybe 2 cats all arround. I watched another very small bobcat for 5 or 6 minutes during the bonus season and as close as about 30 feet. This was less than a 1/4 mile from where I found that doe last year, and I am sure it was this years young.

Top Bottom