Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Very Interesting Deer Study

That was cool. It was interesting to see how little he moved during the month of October, then it was like someone flipped a switch in late October/Early November. Thanks for sharing.

Very interesting. I really would like to know what killed him. Some interesting questions at the bottom also. One question in particular made me scratch my head. The one about did the 'yotes drag the body 200 yards and the reply was 'yotes will not drag a deer carcass. Well, maybe not 200 yards but they will and do drag them.

There have been a couple other radio collar studies that also show how small a range deer really have. There was another one from "out east", I can't remember where, that their radio collared buck also took a one time flyer in the summer for no apparent reason. Interesting stuff for sure.

The study is very cool. It's interesting to see that their core areas are so small. Even during the rut they don't stray to far away from home.

Thanks for sharing

One of the most interesting things I learned at the QDMA deer steward course was that regardless of a buck being locked down with a doe he always returned to his core area at least once a day.

Very interesting study. We still have a lot to learn about the secret life of a whitetail thanks for posting.

Very interesting. I really would like to know what killed him. Some interesting questions at the bottom also. One question in particular made me scratch my head. The one about did the 'yotes drag the body 200 yards and the reply was 'yotes will not drag a deer carcass. Well, maybe not 200 yards but they will and do drag them.

There have been a couple other radio collar studies that also show how small a range deer really have. There was another one from "out east", I can't remember where, that their radio collared buck also took a one time flyer in the summer for no apparent reason. Interesting stuff for sure.

Completely agree...I have seen evidence of it first hand. My theory is that they will drag it to where they feel safe eating on it. If it is exposed and in sight of a road, etc, they will drag it/

I'd really like to see this study performed with two parameters:

3.5 or older bucks
Midwestern states

Habits change from year to year and it would be interesting how mature deer navigate the wood lots as opposed to dense forests of PA.

I'd really like to see this study performed with two parameters:

3.5 or older bucks
Midwestern states

Habits change from year to year and it would be interesting how mature deer navigate the wood lots as opposed to dense forests of PA.

My thoughts exactly. I want to see this study done in a mixed ag/hardwood situation with bucks young and old.

Pretty cool stuff. I live near Indian Town Gap military reservation in PA which borders Saint Anthony's wilderness which is huge.They place an ear tag on a button back a few years ago and it ended up getting shot at Middle Creek Wildlife Management area the following year, that is 26 miles from where he was born!

I bought a college course book called Whitetail Deer Ecology and Management many years ago which goes into great detail about every aspect of deer. One study they did they collared a 1 1/2 year old buck that traveled 126 miles where he set up his home range in another state!

You just never know? Maybe it depends on the local they come from and all disperse differently depending on a variety of factors. The mid west buck probably disperse a lot differently than a big woods buck, who knows.

Top Bottom