Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Very, very slow

Scrapes were dried up today when I looked at them....saw a couple fawns by themselves the last couple of sits. I know it is not lock down phase yet but I think the big boys are already taking the first few does in heat and sending the younger bucks out roaming.

Finally did see some rutting activity. Had two bucks come in to rattling @ 7 AM, passed on one that was borderline. I shot another borderline 8 pointer @ 8 AM. I also seen a buck chase a doe for the first time this year. Things finally picked up for me. Good luck to all!

Heard over 50 grunts tonight and had three different bucks run by me-all doing the stomp walk :) One spike, 3.5 yo eight and 140's 10 at dark.One of the most exciting nights I have had regarding rutting behavior in uears. Finally taking off.

Saw my first mature buck (3.5 or older) yesterday at 6:45 AM cruising. He got the pass as the shot was a little farther than I like and he was borderline for this early in the season.

Later had a forkie chase a hot doe hard by twice about 8:00AM. Sat till 10:30 in a good funnel and that was the only action I saw.

been slow in central iowa here to seen smaller bucks cruising but no mature ones yet seen a 2 year old check out some does last night and every one left in seperate ways no chasing yet either but i noticed the does are gone and the fawns are still here and teamed up together so i have 4 fawns in a group coming through and does no where to be found
hunting next to standing corn 300 acres of it so maybe there in there
full moon probably not helping but were on the down hill side of that now
should get better everyday

I have footage of mature bucks coming out during day-light early this week but without much rut activity. And today I went to hang a run and gun 1PM set and had a big 10 within 80 yards of my set hitting a scrape and ended up coming right up the hill-side at me. I propt myself up in a split tree and got footage of him walking in front of me at 15 yards on my camera phone. They are really startin to cruise now where I'm at just south of Des Moines and it's a matter of time before it will be prime-time!

Things are definitely looking up...well kinda. I had the biggest buck i've ever seen from a tree stand about 40 yards away with a doe in some thick brush. He was a main frame 10 that i guessing would gross around 165. I stood up and grabbed my bow when the doe bolted out of the cover and sure enough he came haulin after her. I grunted and grunted but he wouldnt stop, so i blew as hard as i could on my grunt tube (big mistake) I think he bout crapped himself and almost fell over when he turned on a dime and ran back into the thicket.
I couldnt hunt tonight because i was combining but i had a mature buck chase a doe across the beans 50 yards in front of me! he didnt act like he even noticed the combine! I also saw one other mature buck chasin a doe in a creek bottom tonight.
I'd say things are really starting to heat up!

Full moon,It will get better.I have been off since the 30th I have seen alot of movement in the mornings.This next week will be hopping.Now is the time to be ready to sit the all day sits.With this wind everything is starting to dry up, they are starting to pick corn everywhere.

Saw a pile of deer this morning on the way to work, a few little guys cruising. Hunted after work, had a nice 2 1/2 respond to some rattling. The buck I was trying to get to comeover for a closer look never lifted his head out of the canola swath he was eating.

I have heard of 3 nice buck shot today.One guy told me him and his son both shot 150+ buck between 11am and 1pm.He said that neither one of then had seen a deer till 10am,They were sitting in thick draws that led up into standing corn.Neither were following does but they sure were looking for some.The son saw 9 bucks in 2 hours going back and forth through through the draw.They were hunting in Clayton county I think.

Top Bottom