Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

VIDEO TOPICS???? What do u want?

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Got some new help on good quality edited videos. What topics would help folks most or be “unique”?? What info needs to go out there?
Recently- did stuff on regulations/ keep iowa great, peak size with age for deer, walnut, etc

What topics you think best? I had idea to compare all different hunting blinds (I have no bias & own most of em). ANYTHING!!!! ***EXCEPT: NOTHING ON: FIRE!!!!! Anything else!!!!
What topics? Deer, land, mature bucks, food, trees, Curtis walker’s recent photos, etc. GO!!

Here’s a folder from old to new stuff - some good, some - eah ;). We add to the good stuff, YOUTUBE LINKS to page & a list…

I'm more interested in tactics, strategies and deer behavior stuff. Not yet a land owner and no properties I can manage so the land management stuff is interesting, but mainly stuff I stick a pin in for later.

I'm a big fan of post hunt success analysis. Love it when guys take a buck they killed in the past, go over the history, explain their tactics, lay out what led to their success and explain what the would have done differently.
Honesty, anything you've done so far has been good. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Where on a farm and why you did certain land improvements?
Show aerial and before after pics of food plot placement, tree plantings, stand placements, access to certain stands/blinds, etc and why you did them in that area.
I've owned a few farms over the years and they are all different layouts, terrain, access, and always interesting to see how guys set up a farm for success.
This kinda hits on tactics as well but incorporates land management into it.

Two things.

1. Habitat improvment/how to. Showing the work being done. I've watched lots of vids, but little shows the how to. Also, bigger than that, but goes along with it is before and after video pics. I can hop on youtube and watch all sorts of video's, but how about a walk through video of what a 'finished' or 'perfect' timber should look like. I have 5 acres I'm approved for cost share and it will be my first go at this. Its one thing to watch videos and think okay that makes sense, but before starting I get a little overwhelmed with it and thinking I'm going to mess it up or make it worse. I'll just be using simple tools, chainsaw, brushcutter, backpack sprayer etc. I'd really like to see a video that shows a an area at ground level and someone walking through it showing before, then shows some work being done, and then a year or two later to show the result or finished product...how the habitat should be to help create a home for deer/turkey.

2. Strategy to how someone hunts. Specifically accessing a stand with wind/terrain, etc. Show aerial view and stuff. I really like seeing how people will hunt a stand and how they access it to help reconfirm what I do or think I should do.

Sep0667
Great ideas. I'm in the same boat and have had the same thoughts. I tried some hinge cutting and dropping tress in a section of timber but was pretty clueless as to how much to cut. Felt dirty cutting trees.

I'm more interested in tactics, strategies and deer behavior stuff. Not yet a land owner and no properties I can manage so the land management stuff is interesting, but mainly stuff I stick a pin in for later.

I'm a big fan of post hunt success analysis. Love it when guys take a buck they killed in the past, go over the history, explain their tactics, lay out what led to their success and explain what the would have done differently.
Honesty, anything you've done so far has been good. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

X2 I’m in the same boat. I like specific tactics targeting certain deer, a lot of deer have similar habits and if you look at things close enough you can start to have really good educated guesses on what they are going to do. However I just get lucky so don’t ask me anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe public land hunting tactics. I have access to private land but I am not able to manage it. Something On how you would evaluate a new property? What would you look for when scouting it? What would your strategy be with trail cameras, possible stand locations, entry/exit, etc. That type of stuff would be helpful to those of us who do not have the experience some on here do.

Stand/Blind access! I'm obsessed with it and very conservative about it with my own hunting, but always catch myself watching shows thinking "alright cool but how is he going to get out of there after dark. etc. etc." Nobody ever mentions it on those and I often see what I'd consider questionable approaches.

I want to hear how successful real life old buck killers (Skip) approach it and what your tolerances are etc. i.e. I would never have the balls to have a box blind right out in the middle of a wide open standing bean field late season, would be too afraid of blowing the field out, but see guys on video do it all the time. I dunno, kind of lame but something I always like to hear credible thoughts on.

Stand/Blind access! I'm obsessed with it and very conservative about it with my own hunting, but always catch myself watching shows thinking "alright cool but how is he going to get out of there after dark. etc. etc." Nobody ever mentions it on those and I often see what I'd consider questionable approaches.

This! Love piecing the puzzle together..

Killing bucks without prior cell cam, or regular cam knowledge or history of buck. Showing up at a spot you have never been, and getting on a buck. Stuff without a hit list, or named bucks....

I like the after hunt analysis strategy mentioned. I know several on here, myself included that have hunted specific deer and been successful, so you could put together several interviews with different hunters on what they did to kill that specific deer.

Skip, what are the odds you can pick a farm from one of the forum members and video an improvement project? Whether it be actually doing something or showing what needs to be done and why. Anything from designing a farm for more opportunities at mature bucks, tsi, orchards, or so many other video opportunities. I think everyone would enjoy a video like that..

Skip, what are the odds you can pick a farm from one of the forum members and video an improvement project? Whether it be actually doing something or showing what needs to be done and why. Anything from designing a farm for more opportunities at mature bucks, tsi, orchards, or so many other video opportunities. I think everyone would enjoy a video like that..
I’d do that!! That’s a great idea!!!!
All of above are great ideas!!!
But yes, I’d do that. Thinking of how we pull this off!!!?!?!!

I’d do that!! That’s a great idea!!!!
All of above are great ideas!!!
But yes, I’d do that. Thinking of how we pull this off!!!?!?!!
Maybe you can pick what topic would be most beneficial for everyone and then have forum members submit location and aerial of their farm to you.. Then you pick what would be the best farm for doing the informational video. Any other requirements you could specify and whomever agrees to it could be an option for the video. It would be a fun video to watch!

Hey Skip, just to piggy back off of tall@wide's idea (which I think is absolutely a fantastic idea) what about allowing up to a certain number of people being able to walk right along with you while you are doing the improvement project? I really like watching and learning thru YT, but if I had a choice and was able/allowed to, I would definitely like to see it being done first hand.

Top Bottom