Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Volga River Recreation Area??

palex2

Aim small. Miss small.
I was on the Iowa DNR website looking at public ground across the state because I want to try out some new scenery next fall. I was going through the wildlife management areas over in Northeastern Iowa and came across the Volga River Recreation Area. I was wondering if anyone can give me any insight or knowledge on the area?!?

I went to college at Upper Iowa University in Fayette and spent a lot of time out there. Pretty big area and decent # of deer. I got permission on some private ground bordering Volga and saw several big bucks in the two years I hunted there.

10 years ago I would have driven a full day to hunt a half day there. Not so much anymore. It's been pounded. Still has big deer.

It gets pounded by deer hunters and Hmongs hunting squirrels. Nothing like sitting in a tree stand only to hear a high power go off within 100 yards. Happened to run into him and he was shooting some sort of big bored centerfire and blowing heads off squirrels. There are big deer there, but also lots of pressure. Depending on where you're coming from there are better public areas in my opinion. But I do hunt that area due to the proximity of my current residence.

Last year my brother and I wanted to see and hunt a different area so we decided to go there we walked around in there for a while and like gundog and Jakewym said gets pounded, there was snow and millions of tracks just no deer lots of hunters.
Give me a hollar I'll give ya a few good spots to check out.

Top Bottom