Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Vortex Scopes

Thefrgt10

PMA Member
Looking for opinions from anyone who owns a vortex. Im looking to get myself one for my muzzleloader I just bought. Thanks to working at a sporting goods store I am able to get 1 at 50 percent off and im lookin to spend around the $150 range so a 2 to 3 hundered dollar scope is what im lookin for.

What are your opinions on say a 3x9x40 compared to a 6x18x44. Is the 6x too much for iowa knowing that I pry wont be shootin over 200 yards.

Any info would be appreciated and thank you.

Last edited:
Not sure if Vortex has it, but I would look at something like a 4x12. For shooting out to around 150-200 yards I like to be able to dial it up to the 12 power.

Dont buy a 6 power minimum friget. That is too much. Especially if you ever start pushing deer and shooting at them on the run.

Yeah Ive been doin some more research on everything bein bored here at work. Looks like I wouldnt go anymore then 4 power. Tryin to decide if I want to spend the extra money on the viper line or go with the diamondback or crossfire.

What is anyones opinion on AO available on some scopes. Is this a game changer or just another dial to have to mess with.

Last edited:
Adjustable objective is kind of nice but definitely not necessary for hunting. I personally would prefer better glass. AO would be a lot more important if you were to be shooting in competitions but there's plenty of people that can shoot sub MOA without any AO. And that's alot more than enough accuracy to kill a deer.

Take a look at the Diamondback 4-12x40 or 3.5-10x50. I'm getting ready to order the 3.5-10x50 for my daughter's rifle. I have a Vortex spotter and love it. I'm also going to be replacing the Zeiss on my .30-06 with a Vortex (Viper HD). You can't go wrong with a Vortex (scope, binocs, spotter). They have the best warranty in the business and their glass is solid.

As for shooting out to 200 yards, I used to have a fixed 4x when I first started shooting and I quit shooting out to 200 yards with it because it got hard to see the target clearly. For shooting out to 150-200, higher magnification is better, IMO. INative is correct in that AO is not necessary for the kind of hunting you will be doing. AO refers to being able to adjust the objective lens (front lens) for parallax at longer distances (keeping the reticle and target in focus).

I have a Viper on my AR15. They are really nice for the money and the warranty is the best in the business. As far as power goes, I would say 3-9x is he biggest you will ever need on a muzzy.

Top Bottom