Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Walnut tree question?

Jethro

This doesn't reall have to do with deer managment but i figured this would be the place to ask first.
I have a nice mature walnut tree that I need to take down for building a new house. At first I was just going to cut it down for firewood but a couple of people told me I should contact a lumber company or mill about possibly selling it. They told me that in some cases you can get a decent price for mature walnut trees. It’s not that big of a deal to me if they wouldn’t want it, I can still use it for firewood but after talking to some people I figure if somebody wanted it and was going to pay me to take it, Why not!
Has anyone ever done this? Who would you contact about it?

Some of the forestry experts could answer that question better then I or even call your local forester.

I tried to sell some black walnut trees once including one that was huge...I was offered 80 bucks for it
crazy.gif

If they're not bottomland trees that are of veneer quality it may not be worth much.

Don't take my word for it though I would certainly check around before you buzz it up!

For a single tree, you may find a local small mill owner or someone that operates a kiln. Also some people around that will use their small mill on shares but they usually want more than one tree but if you can cut it and transport it might help. You will have no interest if it could have nails or metal in it- so called "yard trees".

From my past experience, alot of saw mills won't mess with just one tree, they want big lots. I've also been told that if a tree has been in someones yard it is prone to have nails, in-grown close-line wires, etc....and is shyed away from by mills for fear of ruining their equipment. I'm sure there is someone out there who may be intrested though.

Most of the logging companies say in their ads "no yard trees please" I would guess that it is not worth their time to come for a single tree. Never hurts to try. Good luck.

Measure around at about 4.5 feet off of the ground then estimate length of the trunk to the first branch. If the circumfernce is greater then 70" and the trunk length is at least 12 feet you may have some takers. Good luck

Well after a few phone calls I can see that most of everything you guys said is right. Most of the places I called want big lots of mature trees to harvest to at least make it worth their while. It is a yard tree as well and even though I have never put a nail in it, it's hard telling if anything was ever put in it years ago. Oh well, it was worth a shot. Thanks for all the replies and information.
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom