Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

wanting to buy a muzzleloader

I am not sure what muzzleloader deerbarber is shooting but it obviously wasn't a Knight Disc. I can shoot awesome groups at 150 yards using 150 grains of powder and a 240 grain Knight bullet with the polymer tip. I do agree with what he said about good optics, but the gun does make a difference.

My suggestion would be to try and shoot each of the above mentioned rifles and then go from there. There is no question that they are a lot of money but in this case I truly think you get what you pay for in terms of performance.

Just another opinion, good luck!!!!

T.D.

CVA staghorn under a hundred bucks 209 primer ignition 150 grains if ya want to bruise your shoulder. any muzzel loader out there with a good optic is gonna be accurate out to 100 yards. most shooters arent real reliable past 50 . And a 500 dollar gun isnt going to help.

I think deer barber was simply trying to say that in most situations a miss or bad hit is more the fault of the shooter than the gun, and I agree. I also agree that you get what you pay for, but if you are happy with a 6" group at 150 yards you can get by with a budget level gun. Of all the deer I have shot with a muzzleloader, only 1 or 2 were beyond 50 yards. (1 was way past 100) So I guess it also depends if you are hunting timber areas or wide open spaces.
IaCraig

If you decide on a Knight rifle, you might want to check them out at Scheel's. I sold my CVA rifle this year, even though it had served me very well. I was ready for something new, and the Knight met my requirements of quality and moderate price. I was ready to get one from Cabela's for $369, but was passing through Scheels awhile back, and they had it on special for $319. I never mind saving $50, and I sure have enjoyed shooting it. My 11-year old son and I will be sharing it during our late season hunt. Taylor isn't a fan of hard-kicking rifles, and he loves this gun. It has a great recoil pad, and it shoots very well. This rifle meets my needs very well. One more thing . . . I started using Triple 7 powder recently, and that stuff is great. Clean-up is a breeze, and fouling is greatly reduced. It will be great if/when they start making it in pellet form.

I currently have a CVA, Traditions, and an Austin&Halleck, all in-lines. The two biggest differences between the "cheap" guns and more expensive ones is the rate of twist and the trigger. The rate of twist on CVA's and Traditions used to be 1:32 but they've been moving to 1:28 to match the other manufacturers. Faster twist is supposed to stabilize bullets faster, better flight, better accuracy? IMO, they still have not solved the trigger issue. My AH has a Timney match grade trigger and I would put it against any of the others. The problem with this gun is that it is barrel-heavy and just plain heavy, but it makes a hell of a stand gun. 209 primers are nice, but not necessary. Musket caps are a better alternative than standard caps and are easier to handle. My "cheaper" guns will shoot 1.5-2" groups, but are more particular about what you feed them. If you aren't willing to spend several range sessions working up the right load it's probably better to spend more for the gun. I second the Triple 7 powder recommendation. Start out right by using this powder and try several bullets weights/styles to find the one that shoots for you. Ask a question and get 30 different opinions, I guess that's what this site is all about.

I agree with hunt-m-up on the trigger issue. You won't get a $100.00 trigger in a $150.00 gun.

A poor trigger will rob accuracy. A glass rod trigger will make it alot easier to shoot small groups.

You get what you pay for. I dont like plastic on guns and that cheap cast metal is'nt much better.

Top Bottom