Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Warm season grass management

Jgamet

I'm coming into my 3rd year of a warm season grass planting and it's pretty sparse. Wondering if I should now it (farmer will hay it for me) or wait and burn again next spring?

What’s planted? What type of natives? Is it choked out with other weeds now?
u have several options but the more details u give- be better for giving those options.

Correction: this is year 4 since planting. I burned it in Spring of 2019.
Indian Grass, big bluestem, and switchgrass (bedding in a bag from real world). Not sure on exactly what type of natives it is that is growing up, but just a few broad leaves, some ragweed, and i think some foxtail. I would say half of it is doing decent while 1/4 is patchy at best and the remaining 1/4 is not growing at all (some some oak saplings are coming up). Thanks!

Correction: this is year 4 since planting. I burned it in Spring of 2019.
Indian Grass, big bluestem, and switchgrass (bedding in a bag from real world). Not sure on exactly what type of natives it is that is growing up, but just a few broad leaves, some ragweed, and i think some foxtail. I would say half of it is doing decent while 1/4 is patchy at best and the remaining 1/4 is not growing at all (some some oak saplings are coming up). Thanks!
What type of soil? How rough is it? Just a side note I’m pondering….

I live quite a ways away from the home farm but I will try to get some pics. As far as the soil type, I'm not much of an agronomist but it's pretty decent northern MO black soils with not much clay. Mid 6's I believe when i took a soil test a few years back. Old hay ground on top of a hill. Some parts that aren't growing well I think are more acidic due to some large oaks on the fringe of the field that dump leaves on it that breakdown in the soil over time.

Top Bottom