Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Washington Elk

codywright

TENRINGER
Well I wasn't the lucky one, but just as lucky to be there with him. My cousin harvested this nice 5x5 on the first evening of our Washington State elk hunt. The first day was the best day of hunting we had in the six days we were there. The weather turned hot 90's and it had been dry for the last two weeks. This is not normal for western washington. The elk completely turned off.
It goes like this, we seen a few elk in the morning and couldn't get on anything so we decided to just slowly stalk a big piece of timber in the afternoon. Not even a hundred yard out of the truck I notice a big cow skylined through the timber and motion to hold still. As soon as the cow disappeared over the edge we moved in. I stalked up to where I had last seen her and had her at forty yards but could not get a shot due to bad angle. We tried a few soft calls and a bugle but nothing happend. Shortly after the calls I heard something to my right snapping sticks. So my cousin motions he is going to move another ten yards to my right and look over the edge. As soon as he gets over there I hear lots of sticks breaking and was wondering why he headed down the mountain. Well it was actually the 5x5 coming to the calls silent. My cousin no more than got to where he needed to be and spotted the 5x5 coming in on a string. The bull was coming on a trail that would put him 28 yards. He did just that and my cousin put a perfect, I mean perfect shot on him. The shot was 28 yards, the trail was 28 yards. I have never seen an elk expire so fast. It only took at most ten seconds or so. The elk took a big lunge forward and two straight down and tipped upside down. This was a hunt I will always remember. We seen lots of bear and mt. lion tracks as well.
welk4-1-1.jpg

welk6-1-1.jpg

hoofline.gif

Tell your cousin congrats on his bull. I am sure the both of you have some great hunting memories of some beautiful country. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

hoofline.gif

Is your PMA membership about to expire? >>>>> Renew Here!<<<<< PMA members are automatically entered into the 2008 Big Buck Contest!

<u>Thank You for supporting iowawhitetail.com!</u>

I have hunted elk in eastern Washington years ago, tough hunting as they are pretty pressured. Western side is a whole lot thicker and usally wetter so my hat is off to you for being able to harvest an elk in that state.

Elk hunting is usually a team affair but it's just as exciting being a part of the hunt, calling, hearing the bull scream back...man...that's excitment!

Congrats to your cousin for making a great shot an on a beautiful game animal. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

That's awesome! Congrats to the both of you. Looks like some thick dark timber you guys were stalking through.

Top Bottom