Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Waterholes revisited

StucknAz

I’m arriving at my Ohio farms Saturday! Plans to put in some waterholes. I had Mr John Eberhart hunt my place years ago in exchange for him tacking kill trees and giving me orchard locations. Killed 5 bucks in 7 years out of the three trees he tacked for me.

Planning on adding water to these kill locations. Just wondering how many of you prefer a tank vs. how many prefer natural. I have a mini backhoe to dig, just trying to figure out which route to go.

The farm I bought last year had water holes already in place and I couldn't believe how well the deer used them. Almost like they prefer them to a pond. I would see all the bucks in the area come to those waterholes while hunting. These were dug into the ground, no tank.

I’m budgeting, saw where sturgis was putting in 300 gallon tanks, I may be able to stomach buying a 150 gal but trying to save $ more than anything. Just curious on results…..

How much are u guys spending on tanks or set ups? (Not excavator). Those earth ponds or whatever look legit. I’m doing a bunch. Wanna know methods for sure!!

Here is a couple of pics I took from the stand last year over a water hole..it held water good even with the drought.

Attachments

• 20231006_185411.jpg
    20231006_185411.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 20231006_185749.jpg
    20231006_185749.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 46
I have a few earth holes that I dug with sister. Deer seem to hit them hard certain times of year but not as much other times. I put them in waterway drainage type areas where they naturally fill. Never tried a tank

How often do u have to refill
Last summer was Dry!. Maybe once a week?
This year, water standing in lots of places.

I don't do it « for« the deer as they can go 100 yards to the river.
I do it for fun.
With all the rain we've had this spring, haven't needed to fill it once.
It's more a sorce of social gathering I figger.

I have tried several tanks in the past..including 90 gallon synthetic tanks.. These are all way too small. I now have six tire tanks that are 5.5 or 6 ft each in diameter.. These are indestructalbe and hold 300-350 gallons each. Gravel pad with concrete filling the hole..I set these in the ground to a height of 20inch above..Lots of videos on utube. These are the go to for ranchers. I will never look back. I am not filling tanks every week or so and the deer hit these every day.

Top Bottom