Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

We Will See..... I Hope

Liv4Rut

Tonight on a different route to go check my trail camera, i came accrossed a horrific odor, i followed my nose, and found a half eaten dead fawn. all around it had been torn up by something i never quite seen before. there was like scratch marks around it, i thought thats odd then i seen the biggest track of my life. I figured it was just a dog, but in the back of my mind i kept thinking its a cat, the track (to me) seems wider and more spaced out kinda like a mountain lion, yes i know it is crazy and probably not one but i kept observing and i dont understand the scratchings around it, and there is hundreds of tracks there some old some really fresh, the claw marks seem just huge and go way into the mud. so i started following the freshest set the led out into the bottoms all the houses are way up the ridge then i noticed a trail that had old and fresh tracks on it. well to make a long story short, all the tracks were concentrated on the upper 1/3 of the bottom along the river in some thick nasty stuff, i followed the muddy bottom along the ridge and there was no tracks anywhere like it went back to its home. so its probably a wild dog, but i figured what the heck i set my trail camera over the dead fawn in hopes of getting something crazy. Im thinking maybe it could be a bobcat, i called in two of them this winter in that bottom coyote hunting, i just dont know how big their tracks get, so wish me luck
smile.gif
and yes, i was a bit paranoid walking around in the thick stuff with nothing but a machete
blush.gif

I know this is far fetched but it could of been a bear, they typicaly scratch nud and sticks onto thier kill, kinda burying it... We'll see

If you saw claw marks I'd say it was not a cat. With retractable claws they don't normaly show up in thier tracks.

Was the fawn covered with sticks and leaves? If so, you have a cat! I found the same thing last year and got a whole roll of pics of a big fat Bobcat.
Post your pics!
grin.gif

I sure hope we see what it is, it wasnt completely buried with sticks but it was about 50 percent covered, i probably wouldnt of seen it, if i had not smelled it. most likely its a monster poodle with a pink bow tie, but you all know how the mind can wander sometime
smile.gif
I just have never seen tracks like that, and a kill scene like that is all. if i get any pics, i will post them
smile.gif

well i checked my camera, i ran out of stinking batteries, I did some further investigation on the tracks, and noticed that in about 150-200 of the tracks that i found only about 25-40 had claw marks in them in deep mud about 3-6 inches deep. if the tracks were in shallow mud, i could not see any claw marks of any kind just plain old tracks, i dug out a track to try to take a picture and it sort of worked. the track i took a picture of the front two toes are in closer than most the other toes, they are usually spread out alot more. whatever is making them never seems to trot it is always walking slow, and it goes from brush pile to brush pile and basically stays within 75 yards of the river bank all the way up and down the river until about 100 yards away from the road then they always loop around and head back. this track is about 4-5 inches wide, must be a big dog or something, im confused as usual, what do you guys think, i know its probably a dog, but just from following the tracks mostly with no claw marks (except deep mud) and a dead fawn with scratch marks all around it and half hidden in horseweeds. it just seems like it isnt your typical poodle with a pink bow tie
smile.gif

1005track-med.jpg

my guess would be that a bobcat may have killed the fawn and the odor has attraced other scavengers. set the camera up again and see what you can find. that is definately a dog track in my opinion.

sounds good, we will call it a dog.
smile.gif
sure was wierd though and I got too many deer yet to find to think about it much more
grin.gif

Top Bottom