Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Weekend strategy?

hillrunner

PMA Member
With the timing of the front, this weekend has caught the attention of the hunting world. . I'm curious to hear people's strategies.
Are any guys hunting deep in bedding areas this time of year or sticking closer to food?
Is anyone going to break out a decoy? How aggressive do you get this time of year?

Bet it's best weekend of the season.

Oct 26-31 is already my favorite time. Just so happens it corresponds with premium weather.
I’ve never found that to be the case? Halloween can be magical I agree !

Are you seeing all day buck action ? I like November 4-9 ? But our course, everyone has different experiences/best days !

Sneaking in to timber where I won’t bump deer - total darkness well before light. Pry get some coming back from feeding & then I’ll be there for general “timber hunting 101”. Evenings- closer to food.
Pry stay late in am and be out again early in pm. Given choice - I’d take PM’s over AM’s right now but that’s me.
Absolutely I’ll be out. There’s gonna be mature bucks sighted and shot across state over next 7 days for sure!!!!! Gonna be good!!!!!!

With the opening of bird season, deer are going to get bumped around. In the Timbers not so much but a lot will get bumped that way

I’ve never found that to be the case? Halloween can be magical I agree !

Are you seeing all day buck action ? I like November 4-9 ? But our course, everyone has different experiences/best days !
All day... probably not so much. But the last decade of trail cam data and sightings has shown the big boys to get on their feet. They start looking and arnt tied up with does. Once November hits, it becomes a real crap shoot. I always say I'd rather hunt the last week of October and then the backside November 17-31 over the first half of November.

All day... probably not so much. But the last decade of trail cam data and sightings has shown the big boys to get on their feet. They start looking and arnt tied up with does. Once November hits, it becomes a real crap shoot. I always say I'd rather hunt the last week of October and then the backside November 17-31 over the first half of November.
Totally agree!

I'll be a few days behind your winter chill. I'm being patient with the warm weather right now, not much activity on cams. Looks like Halloween and the 1st week of November will be my best option now and moving forward the next 3 weeks.

How did it go? Any mid day movement?
The cold front just started coming through when I was setting up. One small buck came by at sunrise and nothing seen till 2:00. One doe was acting squirrelly and a buck ran her off then one hour later a 120 inch buck was dogging the same track trying to catch up. Several deer after that till dark.
Good luck everyone it should be good

Not a single mature buck lives on our farm and my cams aren’t showing big deer moving and especially not in daylight. I like the 2nd week of NOV so I’ll get some stands up I’ve had laying around a couple years (finally-AMEN). If I had a shooter bedding somewhere, well, that would alter my strategy…a lesson from last year that still stings…

I said the same thing last year, and it's true again this year. Seeing a lot more birds while combining corn than years past. Even saw quite a few doing beans which don't see them often. Also saw birds on farms where we never used to.

Top Bottom