Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Weekend strategy?

Where in Iowa still has enough birds to even notice there are people hunting them?
I don't see many pheasants from the road where I travel, FWIW. I drove back and forth Iowa City to the Sigourney area today and saw just one group that was out pheasant hunting. Years ago I am sure I would have seen several groups out. So I am not sure if it is related to bird numbers or what, but I didn't get the idea that many were out after them today in that area anyway.

SWIa has more birds than they’ve had in a while. We watched more than we shot today which hasn’t happened in quite a few year
It was in central Iowa. I’m fortunate to have some great ground to hunt. We always seem to have good amounts of birds. But we also have good habitat.

Cold front ready to blast through in about 2 hours in PA. I will be in a stand as much as possible the next 3 weeks. It was 81 degrees on Saturday, high in the low 40's by Wednesday, game on! Big guy is still nocturnal but is showing up closer to shooting light.

Great to hear. I’m guessing those are not in SWIA?

Our farm is in SWIA. This year I’ve seen or heard pheasant nearly every day I’ve been at the farm. First time since in years.

Still no quail, tho. I’ll know our habitat work is paying off when we get the coveys to move back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our farm is in SWIA. This year I’ve seen or heard pheasant nearly every day I’ve been at the farm. First time since in years.

Still no quail, tho. I’ll know our habitat work is paying off when we get the coveys to move back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am working on a CRP SAFE project right now to see if I can increase the numbers. At least there is a covey of quail in the hedgerow to start with. See a rooster pheasant or two every spring within a mile so maybe there is hope.

Top Bottom