Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Weird Morning

jesserichard

Yesterday am a buddy and i were in southern iowa. No movement till about 9. well we hear deer running and i see a doe in front then a spike. No big deal. I was guessing a yote chassed them. Well then they ran back the same way they came from. About 2 mins later the same doe ran back by with the same spike and a basket 8 pointer. Once again they ran back were they came from. 30 seconds later the doe came out of the bottoms fallowed by the spike then the basket 8 then a 140" 10 pointer. The all ran away and that was all she wrote. It "LOOKED" like a bunch of buck dogging a doe.

The bell curve of the breeding period for deer starts in Sept and goes into Mar.
The peak as we know it has about 30% of the does breeding in a two week period, but roughly 5% will breed as soon as Sept or as late as Mar.

I believe the "bell curve" is for the whole country not just one state.The gestation period for whitetails is 200 days.If a doe was bred right now the fawn would be born the first week of May.If a doe was bred on March 1st the fawn would drop around mid Nov.I know the "peak rut" in Iowa can vary a week or so from far N/E to far south.I seriously doubt more than 10% of does are bred in Iowa outside of November and December.

Top Bottom