Weird

pastorpotluck

I have always been taught that gut piles would ruin your hunting area. This morning I tagged a one antlered spike. Needed the meat since all my jerky, sticks, and salami disappeared over Thanksgiving. Anyway I don't plan to hunt that area again but I left my drag behind. Actually it was my wife's. She wanted to go out this afternoon and wanted to know where her drag was. Oops. So I go back to the same tree I was in this morning and decide I'll hunt it again. Now the weird part. A big doe came behind me and froze. I mean broadside, stone statue still. I thought she had seen me, I looked behind the the tree and she stayed frozen. A yearling that was with her meandered around and finally wandered off but the doe was on full alert. So I figured I have a doe tag and she'll run as soon as I turn. Nope. Frozen. So I draw and release and she doesn't move a muscle until the arrow hits her. By the time I got down it was close to dark. I walked over to find my arrow and she had been staring at the gut pile. I had six inches of penetration but the arrow was broken off. I figure I hit her offside shoulder. I'll retrieve her in the morning. But like I said weird. So do gut piles spook the deer or what?:confused:

I once set up a trail cam on a fresh....that night, gut pile. Less than 4 hours after leaving it, a mature buck was sniffing it. for the next several days until it was gone, deer continued to walk right past it.

I agree. I have done the same thing to get pictures of coyotes or bobcats and have had deer sniffing the gut piles. I have seen in magazines where people have done studies on this and almost every time deer are the first thing to show up on camera. So I would believe that it does not hurt at all and maybe even attract deer. But I am also sure there are some deer that may spook at one.

I've seen deer walk right past them as well. I don't think it spooks them at all. I dought they know it's what's left of thier friend anyway.

I've read that they will also eat the contents of the stomach.
CANNIBALS! :grin:

I suppose it could depend on the individual deer, but I have never witnessed deer being spooked by gut piles. If anything they seem to check out fresh gut piles, and after a few days pay no attention what so ever to them.

I agree that deer seem un-bothered by gut piles. However, they are bothered by coyotes that may pass by to take a taste so it is still always good practice to drag the deer away form your hunting area to gut it. :way:

Back