Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Western Iowa Public Land Problems

whitetail_obsession

I went out for first shotgun season this morning on public land in Monona County. Around noon I came out to find my truck window shattered. Luckily nothing was stolen and there was no trace of slugs or foreign objects in the vehicle. I don't know if others have ever had problems with this in the area but I'm looking for suggestions. I called the local warden and let him know but I can't imagine what kind of piece of s*** would do something like this. The vehicle wasn't blocking any gates and I purposely drove to an area where there wasn't other hunters to give them their space. Very pissed and frustrated to say the least.

Yes they were Iowa plates (Johnson county). I'm serving in the Air Force and was back in the state on leave. There are no decals on my truck as I try not to make myself a target and regardless of the plates on the vehicle it's still a worthless individual who would do something like this. I have heard bad things happening to hunters in other states on public land but I was thinking Iowa was better than those other states but I guess I was wrong. It's idiots like that who ruin hunting for a lot of people. I'm sorry for the rant I know the people on here are good people but it's disgusting another hunter (I assume) would do that to a fellow hunter.

Yeah, I agree that is pretty sad. At first I wondered if they targeted the truck for having out of state plates. Maybe the dimwit locals didn't like the "out of local area" plates with Johnson County. Low brow no matter what.

Never had any problems in Monona County. Been hunting castana all during archery season. I know we all pulled our stands due to shotgun opening.

I spent the morning pulling stands off a piece of private ground that I had a trailcam stolen off of earlier this summer. Some people! :mad:

Right... There is no way to trust things out there. Sad when you have to deadbolt things out there.

Why did I pick a sport that has so many idiots involved. Not meaning this to be condescending & the vast # on here are like me- we want peace & quiet and keep to ourselves while hunting. I picked a sport that is full of way to many thieves, trespassers, slug slingers (in a dangerous way whizzing past my head 2 different times), guys ruining hunts, leaches, poachers, shooting everything and anything, etc, etc. Sometimes I wish i had an island big enough that it was still hunting but no one messed with things on about a million different levels. I wouldn't do it BUT I kinda understand the attraction of guys going on a high fence "hunt". not for me but I get it.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the scum of the earth. But I'd like to thank you for your service.

I even found a treestand with sticks on the ground in the area I was Hunting this morning. I could have took them since they were on public but I have better moral character than that. Some people would have just taken the stand which is sad. Why can't people just leave other people's stuff alone and enjoy hunting instead of ruining the hunt for others who have just as much right to be there. Drives me crazy. Enough ranting. I'll keep at it and hopefully get a chance at a buck. Good luck hunting everyone and be safe.

Some guys are just idiots. Turn it into insurance and keep on hunting. Worst thing you could do is stop hunting there, cause obviously that's what they want. Sorry to hear about your truck.

Some guys are just idiots. Turn it into insurance and keep on hunting. Worst thing you could do is stop hunting there, cause obviously that's what they want. Sorry to hear about your truck.

You nailed it on the head. That is exactly what they are pushing for. I have been ran out three different times during archery because the idiots only hunt shotgun so they ran me off. I have reported it but was told they have every right to be out there hunting to. So with that being said I have had to check off many areas....

Seems like the perfect time to setup a covert operation. Those guys will be back to check on "Their" hunting spot in the morning. Beat them there but sit next to your truck. Put plastic on your window thanking the individuals for breaking your window, when plastic is removed due to this statement you have your idiot.

Im deployed and had some wonderful P.O.S hunt my farm today. Nice of them. Even nicer the neighbor did nothing but say...Hey you had people hunting your farm today... Only if I could be hovering over my farm with weapons this time of year!!

I came out of one public spot in butler co. this morning and noticed i had a busted passenger side mirror. just the glass, like somebody punched it in.

I blame the parents.

Top Bottom