Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What about .45 and greater caliber air guns for whitetail deer?

Judge1

What do you think about legalizing high caliber air guns (.45 caliber and up) for whitetails in Iowa.? Other states, like Missouri, allow them. They could be allowed in the muzzleloader season. I am talking only about those that shoot pellets/ bullets, not that shoot arrows. I really don't see any difference between these and muzzleloaders. This is a letter I sent to my legislators:

I would ask that you initiate and support legislation for the following amendment:

Iowa Code section 483A.8 is hereby amended by adding the following new subsection:

10. The commission shall adopt a rule permitting the use of precharged pneumatic air rifles, .45 caliber or larger as legal for hunting deer during all deer seasons in which muzzleloading rifles are allowed. A precharged pneumatic air rifle is an air rifle charged only from an external high compression power source (external hand pump, air tank, or air compressor.

I would note that 24 states now allow hunting big game with powerful precharged pneumatic air rifles. The two nearest states allowing deer hunting are Missouri and North Dakota. See: https://www.pyramydair.com/airgun-map/?hunting=Big_Game and https://outdoorever.com/air-gun-laws-by-state/.

In Jim Chapman’s Outdoor Life article “Can Air Rifles Effectively Kill Big Game? In Short, Yes” at https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/hunting-big-game-with-air-rifle/ he notes that:

Why use them then? For many it comes down to the challenge of the hunt, the requirement for the hunter to exercise the discipline to get closer, be more selective in choosing the shot, and be more precise in shot placement. At least for me, hunting is more about how you do it, than just the outcome. Many hunters find this challenge through hunting with handguns, archery, or muzzleloaders.
. . .

If like me, you grew up hearing that a deer rifle needs to generate over 1,000 fpe to be effective, this 400 number seems very low. Well, It turns out the 1,000 fpe threshold is simply wrong. I have killed many hogs with airguns generating 100 fpe, and hogs are harder to kill than deer, in my opinion. And many times, when hunting alongside others using centerfires, my kills have been cleaner and more decisive. This is because I get in closer and place the shot more precisely. The best air rifles produce a wound similar to an arrow in that there is no hydrostatic shock generated, but rather direct injury to the vital organs. The simple fact is that 300 fpe is plenty of power to kill deer-sized game but you have to be selective with your shooting and be capable of hitting your target.

. . .

When talking about the more powerful rifles such as the Hatsan Piledriver, Umarex Hammer, Air Force Texan, and Western Bushbuck, you should expect to get over 600 fpe in a .457 and over 700 in the .50 caliber versions.

Jim Chapman, “Can Air Rifles Effectively Kill Big Game? In Short, Yes” (Outdoor Life Loctober 2022).

No, we already have plenty of effective weapons.

However, will you support amendment 69696969 which states that I, and I alone can shoot deer with my a rifle of my choosing with aid of a thermal scope, on any property I so choose. I also am awarded the governors “super” tag, which entitles me to shoot bobcats, coyotes, turkeys, and any other critter I see fit?

Hard no for me. I assume you'll find a similar sentiment from most the populous on here too. Seems innocent enough at first, but once something like that is approved then air bows are pitched and it's the same slippery slope tactic as straight wall rifles.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Hard no from me as well. Sounds like Missouri is a good place to use them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard no from me. Do you happen to have ties to a company that would benefit financially from this law passing?

Judge, you've probably already picked up.on the sentiment here already...but just in case I'm another NO.

At short as I can make my point is...Iowa has great deer hunting because of its regulations. So don't mess with the regulations!

NOOOOOOOO!! HARD NO AT THAT!!
Here is why and heres the deal.......for the love of god deer really just aren't that hard to kill. How about instead of this continuous and incessant push to make the act of harvesting a deer easier, we instead take a deep and hard look at passing regulations that better manage the overall herd in lieu of this manic "push button kill deer" society that its quickly becoming.
The VERY LAST thing Iowa needs as well as many other whitetail states is more weapons and to "make killing deer easier"

Hunters & especially: serious ones or folks who have been hunters for a “long time” - will not support this. Pendulum has swung towards more weapons, more killing, more seasons, etc- far too long.

The players that would want this on the other hand: those that would make $ from it. Period. Manufacturers, lobbyists & politicians getting donations.

I’ll be honest- I’d lean far harder towards removing weapons or seasons — it’s so far out of hand. But…. All I want for Christmas is for Iowas regulations to be left alone!! :)

No, we already have plenty of effective weapons.

However, will you support amendment 69696969 which states that I, and I alone can shoot deer with my a rifle of my choosing with aid of a thermal scope, on any property I so choose. I also am awarded the governors “super” tag, which entitles me to shoot bobcats, coyotes, turkeys, and any other critter I see fit?
Ha. Ha.

Hard no from me. Do you happen to have ties to a company that would benefit financially from this law passing?
No, I have no financial interest whatsoever. It seems most of the opposition is not based on logic but on being upset over centerfire rifles being allowed previously. One of the commenters here said hunting with air rifles would make it easier. There is no way in hell that hunting with air rifles is easier than centerfire rifles or shotguns and probably not easier than handguns. These are single shot weapons, like muzzleloaders, and perhaps most comparable to them. I think we ought to welcome this as one way of making sure that hunting continues to be a popular sport. Offering a variety of sporting and effective ways to hunt game is another way of perpetuating hunting. At the same time, I agree that crossbows, for example, shouldn't be allowed for general use in the bowhunting season. Where have any of the supposed problems with air gun hunting actually arisen in the states that now allow it?

No, I have no financial interest whatsoever. It seems most of the opposition is not based on logic but on being upset over centerfire rifles being allowed previously. One of the commenters here said hunting with air rifles would make it easier. There is no way in hell that hunting with air rifles is easier than centerfire rifles or shotguns and probably not easier than handguns. These are single shot weapons, like muzzleloaders, and perhaps most comparable to them. I think we ought to welcome this as one way of making sure that hunting continues to be a popular sport. Offering a variety of sporting and effective ways to hunt game is another way of perpetuating hunting. At the same time, I agree that crossbows, for example, shouldn't be allowed for general use in the bowhunting season. Where have any of the supposed problems with air gun hunting actually arisen in the states that now allow it?

Not all large game air guns are single shot. A quick search you can find semi auto and fully auto available to ship to your door.

Why shouldn’t air rifles be allowed? You kind of answer that question yourself. There’s already weapons in the gun seasons that are more effective at killing deer. Air rifles are less effective therefore allowing for more wounded game with poor shots that happen. And there’s no shortage of those with current more effective weapons available.

You say it increases the chances for more people to hunt. You really think someone is going to buy a single shot air rifle as you say instead of a 350 legend in an AR platform? Doubtful.

Its single shot like a muzzleloader was one of your arguments. Should I be able to use a single shot 450 legend during the muzzleloader season then? It loads just as fast as that SS air rifle.

Weapon choices aren’t the limiting factor in hunter participation. Access is the biggest issue. If these air rifles are going to increase hunter participation so much, where are these people going to hunt? Our public lands are already crowded, private land is getting very hard to access unless you have money to waste on a lease.

Leave Iowa alone and enjoy Missouri’s shitty regulated state if you want to hunt with air rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom