Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What about .45 and greater caliber air guns for whitetail deer?

Not all large game air guns are single shot. A quick search you can find semi auto and fully auto available to ship to your door.

Why shouldn’t air rifles be allowed? You kind of answer that question yourself. There’s already weapons in the gun seasons that are more effective at killing deer. Air rifles are less effective therefore allowing for more wounded game with poor shots that happen. And there’s no shortage of those with current more effective weapons available.

You say it increases the chances for more people to hunt. You really think someone is going to buy a single shot air rifle as you say instead of a 350 legend in an AR platform? Doubtful.

Its single shot like a muzzleloader was one of your arguments. Should I be able to use a single shot 450 legend during the muzzleloader season then? It loads just as fast as that SS air rifle.

Weapon choices aren’t the limiting factor in hunter participation. Access is the biggest issue. If these air rifles are going to increase hunter participation so much, where are these people going to hunt? Our public lands are already crowded, private land is getting very hard to access unless you have money to waste on a lease.

Leave Iowa alone and enjoy Missouri’s shitty regulated state if you want to hunt with air rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great response, CW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Increasing hunter participation is the same old tired line every lobbyist uses to push this crap to increase the bottom line for their company. The only thing that has increased participation over the last couple decades was the pandemic shutdowns. Now that those are over participation is decreasing again.

No one needed straight walls to get youth involved. Muzzle loaders can be set up with a tame load that any youth can handle and were already legal for youth.

Increasing hunter participation is the same old tired line every lobbyist uses to push this crap to increase the bottom line for their company. The only thing that has increased participation over the last couple decades was the pandemic shutdowns. Now that those are over participation is decreasing again.

No one needed straight walls to get youth involved. Muzzle loaders can be set up with a tame load that any youth can handle and were already legal for youth.

More great points.

Not all large game air guns are single shot. A quick search you can find semi auto and fully auto available to ship to your door.

Why shouldn’t air rifles be allowed? You kind of answer that question yourself. There’s already weapons in the gun seasons that are more effective at killing deer. Air rifles are less effective therefore allowing for more wounded game with poor shots that happen. And there’s no shortage of those with current more effective weapons available.

You say it increases the chances for more people to hunt. You really think someone is going to buy a single shot air rifle as you say instead of a 350 legend in an AR platform? Doubtful.

Its single shot like a muzzleloader was one of your arguments. Should I be able to use a single shot 450 legend during the muzzleloader season then? It loads just as fast as that SS air rifle.

Weapon choices aren’t the limiting factor in hunter participation. Access is the biggest issue. If these air rifles are going to increase hunter participation so much, where are these people going to hunt? Our public lands are already crowded, private land is getting very hard to access unless you have money to waste on a lease.

Leave Iowa alone and enjoy Missouri’s shitty regulated state if you want to hunt with air rifles.

If you read my post, you would see that I am referring to .45 caliber and larger air rifles, not BB guns or smaller caliber guns. There are NO semi automatic or automatic .45 caliber or larger air rifles. .30 caliber is the largest caliber semi or full automatic PCP air rifle there is. There are none of .45 caliber or larger at Pyramyd Air or Airgun Depot or any other airgun website. They don't exist. The reason someone might buy a .45 caliber air rifle to hunt deer instead of a 350 Legend in an AR platform is precisely the same reason that I bought a .45 Thompson Center muzzleloader years ago to hunt deer. And why I bowhunted for years. It is a greater challenge than using a shotgun or centerfire rifle and it gives me the opportunity to hunt a long season without crowds of hunters. A single shot .350 Legend rifle will be lighter and a longer range rifle than a traditional muzzleloader or air rifle. By the way, if you actually think no one will buy air rifles to hunt deer in Iowa, unlike 24 other states where they are used, why are you opposed to legalizing it? According to you, no one will be doing it even if it is allowed.

f3ac8d76e52330bb948b9ff8207e5781.jpg

Weird that took 5 seconds to find a .457 semi auto air gun.

Why shouldn’t they be allowed if I think no one will use them? That’s a simple answer. It’s a stepping stone in the legislation to allow centerfire rifles into the late muzzleloader season. You might think that’s impossible but it’s a relatively easy stepping stone when you think about how politicians might not know much about firearms. All it would take is someone to say oh they already allow .457 caliber air rifles so we should allow .457 magnums…two completely different weapons but as you can see matching numbers which many legislators may go oh they are even what could it hurt.

Like I said before you can use your air rifle in Missouri if you would like to use it. Non resident tags are relatively cheap and OTC. You are also in Warren county so it’ll be a short drive for you. If you don’t like Missouri, there’s 23 other states you can go to. Iowa is IOWA for a reason stop trying to f*ck it up.

Small, incremental steps is how this nation has went to pot over the last 70-80 years. Only recently have the power brokers put the hammer down and taken their masks off. This legislation would be no different, it would be a slow march that would eventually pick up steam to fully liberalize Iowa’s deer regulations and take it down the same sorry road of other ruined states. If 24 states have actually legalized air guns to hunt deer, buy a tag for one of those states. I’m sure many if not all would be over the counter tags.

If you read my post, you would see that I am referring to .45 caliber and larger air rifles, not BB guns or smaller caliber guns. There are NO semi automatic or automatic .45 caliber or larger air rifles. .30 caliber is the largest caliber semi or full automatic PCP air rifle there is. There are none of .45 caliber or larger at Pyramyd Air or Airgun Depot or any other airgun website. They don't exist. The reason someone might buy a .45 caliber air rifle to hunt deer instead of a 350 Legend in an AR platform is precisely the same reason that I bought a .45 Thompson Center muzzleloader years ago to hunt deer. And why I bowhunted for years. It is a greater challenge than using a shotgun or centerfire rifle and it gives me the opportunity to hunt a long season without crowds of hunters. A single shot .350 Legend rifle will be lighter and a longer range rifle than a traditional muzzleloader or air rifle. By the way, if you actually think no one will buy air rifles to hunt deer in Iowa, unlike 24 other states where they are used, why are you opposed to legalizing it? According to you, no one will be doing it even if it is allowed.
So if you want a challenge, why didn't you buy a spear versus a bow? Sounds like you're looking for a buddy in Iowa that will agree with you, sorry, maybe try another website!

That [spot on truth] hurts Curtis!! :p

Top Bottom