Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What am I doing wrong?

NorthWoodsBoy_18

I've been sitting in this stand on and off. I didnt want to out too much pressure on it. Im 17 ft. up. Am i not high enough? I have a few pictures of decent bucks during the daytime, but they dont seem to want to show up when im there. Any thoughts to what i could change?
:confused:

I would say the 5th - 13th are the best days for the rut. It is just getting good. If it is in a good spot and the right wind stick with it.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
yeah, i have a river directly behind me, and thats the only spot for water around there. Im hoping when i gets colder it will get better.

What do you know about the area? bedding areas? food? where deer enter and exit your stand area?

You are plenty high and it looks like you arent too exposed. I'd say sit there whenever the wind is right if you don't have anywhere better to go. Then maybe hang a stand in another spot around there that would work for a different wind direction. The change of view is always nice anyway. I dont really believe in burning out stands unless you don't practice good scent control and don't play the wind, so you are always busting deer.

Yeah, the bedding area is behind the third photo a little farther back in the woods, i am putting up another stand in the timber. theres not a whole lot of food there, but they cross reguraly right across the field to get to the river behind me. I put a felt wrap and camo'd it up so im a little more covered up. Im planting it next spring too. That should help.

Are you exposing yourself on the way to the stand? If they can see you go in, they know better than to get near you.

Hmm I'd figure out where they go for food and either hunt the food or between the food source and the bedding areas. Deer can get a drink anywhere along a river. And they don't stay there long. On the other hand, deer feed for much longer periods of time so you are more likely to see them. Thats my best advice, not seeing an aerial of the area and not personally hunting it. But if you are confident in your current spot, then stick with it a d be persistent. Things should pick up here in the next week so your luck could easily change. Just remember, you have to be there in the woods if you want to get one.

Top Bottom